Can you do Sudoku

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I have just read an article which says, that if a person plays things like Sudoku, they can help with cognitive problems

I have tried this a few times and never worked out how to do it. On the other had, my Grand daughter who has a form of Aspergers, has learnt to play mahjong, and one day after watching her I thought to myself, if she can manage it why can't I try.

Since then its become a hard game to stop, and in some cases its addictive.

I used to play many brain games which my wife bought, but they are tame compared to Mahjong, and I enjoy playing it, as it seems to help. On the bad days I will not go near because I cannot see the correct tiles no matter what I do.

Does anyone else play these games, and do they help, as I was always told to keep using these brain training games as a way of helping my brain and keep it active.

Ken

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
We do a couple of Killer Sudoku every morning . Prefer the killer ones to the ordinary ones.

Don't think it makes much difference to whether or not you'll have problems though. You only have to read on here to know some highly intelligent people who have spent their lives juggling numbers or words are affected.

Lin x

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I can not get it to work no matter what I do. I have even tried the easy ones and failed. Perhaps its just me.

My wife says its strategic so perhaps that's why I fail, as I can not always work out where things should be.

I am pleased that people get so much out of it.

Ken

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I don't do Sudoku as it doesn't appeal to me - I just cannot make the numbers come out. But I'm great at crosswords. My husband adores Sudoku but he's always been a numbers person.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do Sudoku but only the simple and moderate ones and love mahjong. I also like Freecell solitaire

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I also play Freecell Solitaire and Spider Solitaire all the time.
I'm a Solitaire, Freecell and Spider addict I'm afraid. In fact I have whole array of solitaire card games. I love crosswords but hate suduko - can't see the point but that's probabaly becasue I'm a word not a numbers person.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I like spider, free cell, Klondike, triple peaks & squadron. My OH plays demons & thieves, but no matter how often I try, I just can't get it :confused:

If you like word games, have you tried Bookworm, flip words or wordslinger?

Lin x

nimbus11

Apr 22, 2011
Hampshire
I lOve playing all sorts of online games, scrabble, majong, spades etc etc, I use a site called msn games and play games with people from all over the world (and its free).

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Ken, 'No' I can't play Sudoku, in fact now I can't do the Kriss Kross puzzles on Talking Point even though I formulated as my mind goes into utter confusion and I don't think that my poor eyesight helps, but I do play games on the computer;)
Best wishes
Barry

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
2nd reply

Hi again Ken
I just want to say thanks for doing this thread all be it about ‘Sudoku’ “BUT” you also said that your granddaughter plays “Mahjong” and that since watching her you have learnt how to play it!

All I want to say is that reading your thread inspired me to try playing it on my computer although at first it confounded me with all the different pieces:eek::confused: but I persevered and like you have now become addicted to the game, which I think might help with my eye contact coordination.:)

So well done KEN for a very useful tread;)

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
It looks as if the Sudoku game is not as easy as the experts say it is, so how is it going to help us with cognitive problems?

Like you Barry I have become addicted to Mahjong, and I have a few games before tea, and sometimes after that if I can focus on the tiles, but I have found that this does help me.

I struggle with crosswords these days and sometimes get very bored of solitaire, but we have to try anything to keep going

Many thanks

Ken

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Your right Ken I now play Mahjong throughout the day but like you I do find it more difficult to play in the latter part of the day as I just can not focus which is manly due to Sundowning when I lose all sense of concentration... as for Sudoku I've never been able to work it out!
Hope you are feeling OK
Best wishes
Barry

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
I've always been a crossword addict, but at first, I could never get my head around sudoku, but after concentrating a whole lot and much practice.. now I can.. it's just logic and comparing what's there.. it keeps my brain ticking over, I do it every day.. sometimes I have to use my eraser because I see I have it wrong.. just use a pencil, it's makes life easier :)

I love Mahjong too, a great brain stimulator :)

Sallyanne59

Mar 31, 2013
Lingfield
Sallyanne

Hi, I love playing that game and I have mild/mod alzheimer's at the age of 53. It is one great way of keeping the brain going and great fun when you win :)

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Good for you Sallyanne, I, was diagnosed just over eight and a half years ago and have only just learnt how to play the game which I'm now addicted to thanks to 'KEN'