Can we get help?

mollymoo1

Dec 12, 2013
My lovely husband is 70 & although he is my carer he has developed memory problems, he gets confused & forgets what he is doing mid task, he repeats himself & gets anxious in unfamiliar situation/places. Our family became very concerend over the last 12 months due to his obvious deterioration. He recently had tests & an MRI scan showed mild to moderate generalised cerebral atrophy, he has been diagnosed with 'mild cognitive impairment of likely vascular aetiology' by a psychiatrist. I am 60 & unsure what happens next or what the future holds but we are due to return to his GP soon.
We are struggling to cope at the moment as although physically ok to help me my husband needs reminding of so many things & we are now dependant on each other but between us we manage as a team with some help from our family. Our only income is my DLA, his state pension & guaranteed pension credit. Someone has told me he may be entitled to extra financial help - can anyone advise please.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
So very sorry for you and sending my loving thoughts as I didn't want you to feel alone. Hang on, there will be many more responses soon I know it. Thinking of you. X:)

win

Oct 14, 2012
My lovely husband is 70 & although he is my carer he has developed memory problems, he gets confused & forgets what he is doing mid task, he repeats himself & gets anxious in unfamiliar situation/places. Our family became very concerend over the last 12 months due to his obvious deterioration. He recently had tests & an MRI scan showed mild to moderate generalised cerebral atrophy, he has been diagnosed with 'mild cognitive impairment of likely vascular aetiology' by a psychiatrist. I am 60 & unsure what happens next or what the future holds but we are due to return to his GP soon.
We are struggling to cope at the moment as although physically ok to help me my husband needs reminding of so many things & we are now dependant on each other but between us we manage as a team with some help from our family. Our only income is my DLA, his state pension & guaranteed pension credit. Someone has told me he may be entitled to extra financial help - can anyone advise please.

Try to contact Age UK who can help you apply for any financial support you may be entitled to. Alzheimer's Society help line may also be able to signpost you in the right directions. Your LA link should also have a support worker who would come out to assist you with any paperwork and applications. The help is out there but unfortunately we have to ask for it all the time.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Make an appointment with your local AgeUk, Citizens Advice Bureau,.., they will be able to help you claim any benefits to which you may be entitled.

mollymoo1

Dec 12, 2013
Many thanks for your responses. Endless form filling to apply for any sort of help is so daunting, we dont want to go through it if not likely to qualify. It is so hard to adequately describe on forms how his symptoms really impact on his & our daily life, especially when I am aware that others endure far worse. We will talk to the organisations suggested to see if they can guide us through it.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
That is certainly the best idea because there is a certain wording which is the key to success or otherwise in form-filling. What you need to diligently remember is what it is like on the worst day. My advice is to write everything down that impacts on you both, because it is impossible to remember when it comes to being asked. If you do this, it will help you to realise also that if it makes your life hard to cope with, it doesn't matter what other people are going through. Loving thoughts. X:)