Can visiting carers be in a relationship

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
My mother has care visits that are double up visits,the majority of these are done by a man and a woman that are in a relationship,I'm wondering if this is allowed as it makes them unaccountable as they are not going to report each other are they?

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
I don't see that this is a problem (per se) cos in my experience, the care team generally don't "rat" on each other anyway. I've had issues with my father's care agency, and they all deny the issues I've raised, even though we have video evidence of the care visits!

Just try to keep an eye, as much as you can, in the same way you would any carer.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Its only a problem if its a problem with you.

Is there something you are unhappy with that's happening?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
On the other hand having 2 carers understanding each other's way of caring if it is good and working as a team is a good thing for your mum. Do you have reason to ask the question?

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
To make their round quicker they had often been making their visits as a solo visit but 2 names are signed in the book, as I live at home as my mums carer, I'm aware of this and have been most surprised they are acting outside of the rules and looking after their own interests instead of my mums blatantly.
I have spoken to them in the past about this and have been lied to and ignored or a bad attitude has come into the house ,they feel untouchable as they do many hours for the company and they say themselves nobody else wants to do the double rounds,so I think it would be problematic for them to be removed from the job as the company will feel that they need them

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That could happen with any carers, in a relationship or not. You need to report them to the care agency.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
To make their round quicker they had often been making their visits as a solo visit but 2 names are signed in the book, as I live at home as my mums carer, I'm aware of this and have been most surprised they are acting outside of the rules and looking after their own interests instead of my mums blatantly.
I
In that case I would speak to the agency manager the problem isn't that they are In a relationship more that they are acting unprofessionally and not in your mum's best interests as I assume your mum's assessed needs require double handed care.

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
It has been better as they were reprimanded by the company for doing this at lots of homes and it got a lot better but it happened twice at the weekend the girl visited on her own and he then turned up after she had gone I assume as he was doing another double on his own while she was at mine(sneaky sneaky),I think he was appearing so he would get paid as he used to do that often on the calls turning up at the last minute,he said oh I'm not going to get paid now then and I said what's happening you have just been told off by the company why are you doing this again and your name has been signed in the book for 2 days when you didn't even make those calls,he didn't have a lot to say

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
If they are acting unprofessionally then report it to the care agency. If the care agency won't do anything report to the CQC or drop the agency. It's a lot of unnecessary stress, but I did that a couple of years ago and got a much more professional responsive agency to replace the terrible one.

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
In that case I would speak to the agency manager the problem isn't that they are In a relationship more that they are acting unprofessionally and not in your mum's best interests as I assume your mum's assessed needs require double handed care.
Yes her care plan requires 2 people

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
If they are acting unprofessionally then report it to the care agency. If the care agency won't do anything report to the CQC or drop the agency. It's a lot of unnecessary stress, but I did that a couple of years ago and got a much more professional responsive agency to replace the terrible one.
It's an eye opener some of the girls are so nice you want to adopt them,we have different people in the morning and I love sitting talking to them and we have a great laugh,I feel sorry for the people that haven't got somebody like me to monitor the situation if they are unlucky enough to have a maverick on their round

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
They could well be breaking agency rules. Its not that they are in a relationship, although the fact that they are may be giving them the confidence to circumnavigate and have found a way round the rules. Telling you that staff is hard to find in this sector just makes you feel thankful for what they do.. As much as it may distress you to talk to the agency manager, you must do this.

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
They could well be breaking agency rules. Its not that they are in a relationship, although the fact that they are may be giving them the confidence to circumnavigate and have found a way round the rules. Telling you that staff is hard to find in this sector just makes you feel thankful for what they do.. As much as it may distress you to talk to the agency manager, you must do this.
One of managers will be here this week as she is helping on the round and I will speak to her,yes I do feel for the girls it's a tough job and 95% of our visitors are so lovely one of them always makes sure she holds my mum's hand for a couple of minutes before she goes and they bring great fun and pleasure to our home,the maverick pair have put themselves in a stupid situation the girl works 12 days in a row from 7am to 9pm for 12 days then on her weekend off she appears again but maybe misses the morning calls and has a lie in,they shouldn't work that many hours,she should have her weekend off to get away from the job and enjoy herself and sit down and have a rest

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
My father in law had no end of problems with carers dealing with his wife, he is a bit of a perfectionist anyway and likes things just so, but the things he said they would do was just awful. Hygiene was a big problem, he watched one wipe the floor with a clean towel once and then wrap it around his wife to dry her, one even broke her toe because of not lifting her correctly, but totally denied it. He reported, changed agencies, did everything he could, but they always backed each other up and the problem is that there are just not enough people who want to do that job as the pay is so rubbish, so very little happens. He ended up sacking the lot of them and he just cares for his wife himself now. Which I know isn't always possible.

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
My father in law had no end of problems with carers dealing with his wife, he is a bit of a perfectionist anyway and likes things just so, but the things he said they would do was just awful. Hygiene was a big problem, he watched one wipe the floor with a clean towel once and then wrap it around his wife to dry her, one even broke her toe because of not lifting her correctly, but totally denied it. He reported, changed agencies, did everything he could, but they always backed each other up and the problem is that there are just not enough people who want to do that job as the pay is so rubbish, so very little happens. He ended up sacking the lot of them and he just cares for his wife himself now. Which I know isn't always possible.
Bless him,yes the pay is bad and some of them have to walk between jobs so I assume they are not even earning then

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
One of managers will be here this week as she is helping on the round and I will speak to her,yes I do feel for the girls it's a tough job and 95% of our visitors are so lovely one of them always makes sure she holds my mum's hand for a couple of minutes before she goes and they bring great fun and pleasure to our home,the maverick pair have put themselves in a stupid situation the girl works 12 days in a row from 7am to 9pm for 12 days then on her weekend off she appears again but maybe misses the morning calls and has a lie in,they shouldn't work that many hours,she should have her weekend off to get away from the job and enjoy herself and sit down and have a rest
In an ideal world all carers would be wonderful however we all find that is sometimes not the case. But whilst the job is undoubtedly very hard challenging and demanding with a pwd as we all know first hand...a carer makes a choice to apply for the job

greeneye1900

May 21, 2018
Yes it's easy for them to
In an ideal world all carers would be wonderful however we all find that is sometimes not the case. But whilst the job is undoubtedly very hard challenging and demanding with a pwd as we all know first hand...a carer makes a choice to apply for the job
yes this is what the good carers say with regards to the rogue carers they say they could go and get a job at Tesco if they aren't interested in doing the job properly.

Last edited:

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
I have spoken to them in the past about this and have been lied to and ignored or a bad attitude has come into the house ,they feel untouchable as they do many hours for the company and they say themselves nobody else wants to do the double rounds,so I think it would be problematic for them to be removed from the job as the company will feel that they need them

In which case they are "short changing" you. You need to speak to the care agency. Or get a social worker involved, and don't be afraid to complain.