Can the levels of decline come closely together

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hello I am seeking advice about the levels of dementia I am currently waiting for dad's diagnosis following memory clinic appointment and ct scan, dad seems to have had two dips closely together within about three weeks, has anyone else experienced this.. Thanks in advance x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hello exhausted 2015. The levels or stages of dementia are a very rough and ready concept. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. But sometimes an apparent sudden deterioration can have a physical cause, e.g. an infection of some kind, so it would be good to seek medical advice. Also people can go up and down even though the journey is always downward over time so it's best to try not to make assumptions and just work on trying to cope with his current problems. Things may become a bit clearer when you have a diagnosis.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
When my MIL goes dramatically downhill there is usually another health issue going on - pain or infection or similar. Although she gets quite a lot worse if she's just tired to be honest.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hello exhausted 2015. The levels or stages of dementia are a very rough and ready concept. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. But sometimes an apparent sudden deterioration can have a physical cause, e.g. an infection of some kind, so it would be good to seek medical advice. Also people can go up and down even though the journey is always downward over time so it's best to try not to make assumptions and just work on trying to cope with his current problems. Things may become a bit clearer when you have a diagnosis.
Hi thank you for the help I still have a lot to learn I have now excepted the person that my dad has become and am caring for him in the best way that I can, when we do get the diagnosis next month I won't be surprised the memory clinic have told me that he either has vascular dementia or alzimers but won't know which until then I just don't know what to expect has time progresses
Thanks again xx

marymary1898

Hi Exhausted,
Seems we're at the same stage. Mam is waiting for the results of her latest scan to determine if she has Alzheimer's or Vascular Dementia.
We too have noticed a rapid decline over recent weeks. Mam will reach a plateau, stay there for a while, then suddenly seem much worse. Recently the times between declines seem much shorter.

I'm sorry I have no advice at all but hope it helps a little to know you're not alone.

Let me know how you get on

Mary
X

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi thank you for the help I still have a lot to learn I have now excepted the person that my dad has become and am caring for him in the best way that I can, when we do get the diagnosis next month I won't be surprised the memory clinic have told me that he either has vascular dementia or alzimers but won't know which until then I just don't know what to expect has time progresses
Thanks again xx

We all have a lot to learn when trying to cope with these awful conditions. What's so great about TP is that we can all learn form each other.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi Exhausted,
Seems we're at the same stage. Mam is waiting for the results of her latest scan to determine if she has Alzheimer's or Vascular Dementia.
We too have noticed a rapid decline over recent weeks. Mam will reach a plateau, stay there for a while, then suddenly seem much worse. Recently the times between declines seem much shorter.

I'm sorry I have no advice at all but hope it helps a little to know you're not alone.

Let me know how you get on

Mary
X
Hi Mary thank you I know that there must be hundreds of people in my situation but it really helps to hear from someone going through the same thing
Take care will keep posting xx