Can the hospital make me move my mother

Mudlark

Jan 13, 2020
My mum is on a dementia ward after her husband had a heart attack last week and got to hospital in a taxi at midnight with her in tow. They admitted him and placed her in dementia ward as she could not go home alone.

So a week has passed and to day the hospital called me to say they had found a respite care home for my mother, some distance away. I cannot drive and it is not easily accessible by public transport. Her husband once out from his op would also struggle to get to it.

I have lasting power of attorney for health and money. I said no to the care home as it was too far away. they were quite hostile and insistent. I know she is 'bed blocking' but that is not my concern. My concern is her best interest which would not be served by having no one to visit.

After they said they would escalate this to a manager and the call ended I searched care homes in my own city and found a vacancy 20minutes walk from where I and she live, spoke to the staff there and they were happy to liaise with the hospital. This care home meets her needs, is more expensive that the other one but we are willing to pay, even though the hospital have said they would pay for the first 4 weeks.
Can the hospital stop me from taking her out of the ward and putting her in the care home I have found which is near me.
What is the legal standing of an LPA does it 'trump' hospital decisions. She is only in hospital because my step dad had a heart attack

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Mudlark

The hospital want your mother`s bed and have found a care home.

They say it is for respite which in my eyes means it is not permanent but would give you some time to find a home more convenient for you to visit.

You have found somewhere more suitable so your mother doesn`t need to one the hospital has found . I don`t think there is a problem.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree with Sylvia - that is exactly how I interpret the situation too.
Get back to the hospital SW and explain that you have found somewhere closer. The only downside is that you will probably not get those 4 weeks of fees paid for.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If she is self funding she can go where she likes/where you like.
I dont think you'll get the 4 weeks paid either.

Is this to stay long term or just a stop gap? A respite bed my only be a fixed term, and posibly not extendble

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
If you can afford to pay for the whole thing then just go ahead, book a taxi today. The hospital won't stand in your way. As attorney you have the right to decide. If you really need the four weeks of funding you will have to accept the hospital's choice because he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law was self funding when she was admitted to hospital and needed a care home. I didn't involve social services at any point, I just organised a care home and private transport from a London borough to a home in Kent . I had POA for finance and health and the hospital were only interested in freeing up a bed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour