Can Social Workers really give you no help?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
On the subject of RNCC, I heard a snippet on the radio that most NHs have not amended their fees to reflect the new scale, on the theory that it averages out. So some self-funders are paying too much, some too little.

Worth checking!

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Understand, and of course there is the other complication that Wales has its own policies which may differ from England and Scotland.

I have a crisis pending and will start my own thread to air my problems.

But all this is interesting - thank you

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Cliff

As you say this is yet another piece of the jigsaw.

There have been a lot of changes this October so exactly who will manage to get either NHS Continuing Healthcare (all free) or NHS Funded Nursing Care (just nursing care free) in the future has to be seen. It is true that those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease are likely to find it hard to jump the hurdles but I think people should try. It is the only way to get proof that people with mental health problems are being discriminated against.

The best way to get an assessment is via SS before the person goes into the EMI
Home, but you can also ring the PCT and get an application form and send it in.

I sent an application form in in February, and I am hoping that it will be put before the PCT “Panel” in November, so you see things do not move fast.

Regards

Clive.

tartbag

Sep 1, 2007
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi all,

Not visited for a while sorry! We are waiting to be assigned a social worker for my mother in law but it's been nearly 2 weeks now and we still haven't heard anything. The assessment centre have told us there isn't anything more they can do for her and have recommended that she goes into a care home. It is a mind field out there, we haven't a clue where to start looking or really know what we are supposed to be looking for, if anyone has any advice or information it would be much appreciated.

Take Care
Rachael

debby13

Oct 15, 2007
Hi All

Well to update you on the latest. I spoke to the social worker (I had left messages and she hadnt called back) until I finally got her. Basically she said there was nothing pretty much they could do and I asked about the Carers Assessment which I had read on this site etc, she said the trouble is that this a form that your mother will have to fill out which if she is already stressed will just add to it and that there was no point really. She then gave me the number of the Carers Support Service and Crossroads neither of which I have had time to call yet. This is an ever complicating mystery if you ask me and makes me want to just scream out loud! It just amazes me that the people who have paid 'in' the social system all their lives get treated like this yet I am sure that other sectors of the community who havent dont anything to contribute get lots and lots of help. Rant over but its a subject that makes me to upset.

xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Debby

It sounds as if your SW is not very helpful. As far as I know there is no form for your mum to fill in, although she may have been referring to a financial assessment to dtermine what contribution you would have to make.

The problem with ringing Crossroads is that they are usually contracted to SS, and will say they can't help you. I'm not sure what how the carers'\ support service works, but it may be the same.

I think you need to insist on a carers' assessment, it's your right, and they can't refuse to do one.

Have a look at this site:

http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Helpwithcaring/Carersassessmentguide

Good luck.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Debby

What you are finding is not unusual, so don’t think it’s you who are failing.

My only suggestion is to try not to take it too personally.

You have a challenge that needs a clear head and good record keeping.

I am sitting here wishing you all the best.

Keep posting

Regards

Clive

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Debby

If your SW is unhelpful I would contact his/her manager. Lodge a complaint if you need to.

Your Mother is entitled to an assessment of her needs and a care package put in place, whether it is a care home or care at home.

If, care at home, you are entitled to a carer's assessment.

Self funding shouldn't stop a care assessment.

Social Services have a duty of care.

If you told them you were having nothing more to do with your Mother's care, they would have to do something.

Best of luck
Alfjess