can people give me advice

simba1

Sep 18, 2015
Hi on carer for mum with mixed dementia a recent tia has caused a drastic memory dip she has carers for medication prompt twice daily until recently able to manage cooking for herself now has frozen meals delivered. Today came to light that she is not cooking theses meals for long enough n at risk of food poisoning as eating semi frozen food can anyone give me any tips ideas so that she can get timimg right on food we have timer but forgets to use it.
Thanks in advance

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello simba and welcome to Talking Point
I suspect that you will not be able to get her to cook her meals properly now. Once a skill has been lost you are very unlikely to get it back again.
I think you will either have to get something like meals on wheels or get a carer to make the meal for her.
It is always sad when you discover that there is another skill lost :(

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Does your mother live alone? maybe its now time to up carer visits to include one at lunchtime specifically to ensure she heats food to right temp/time. Or leave a flask of warmed up soup, with a pre made sandwich for her.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Simba. welcome to TP
Sadly I have to agree with Canary on this one, once the skill has gone it's usually gone for ever. As suggested I'd speak to her and see if they can make some extra visits.
K

simba1

Sep 18, 2015
Does your mother live alone? maybe its now time to up carer visits to include one at lunchtime specifically to ensure she heats food to right temp/time. Or leave a flask of warmed up soup, with a pre made sandwich for her.
She lives alone I call 8am n 5.30 carer at 8.30 and 8.30 . Not excepting how much this last tia has caused problems n getting very upset and anxious about all the fuss . Realise carers are what's needed but at the moment won't except them other than meds just seeing if anyone has tried anything that I can try

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
My mam wouldn't have carers either, much sympathy.

Could the morning carer make a plate of sandwiches and snacks and could you heat her a ready meal at 5.30?

Sadly it will only get harder and other solutions will need to be found but you can only deal with it all bit by bit.
Best wishes to you and your (like mine :) stubborn little Ma.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sounds like you are going to have to try meals on wheels, at least when they are delivered you know they are cooked and does not matter if eaten cold, or could you cook these frozen foods for her and all she has to do is heat up when needed. Timers won't help, as timing is the issue. Any chance you could have an evening meal with her? at least then you would know she is having one cooked/hot.

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
I am experiencing some problems too in ensuring my sister (early stage Alzheimers) has a hot meal each day. Home care assistant visits in morning to deal with medication, and again at tea time to make one of the frozen meals which I leave in my sister's freezer. This worked fairly well to begin with but now I am finding that my sister is not allowing the carer to make the meal each day - some days she tells the carer she is going out for dinner or has been out for lunch (not true) to justify not having the hot meal. We are working at making it part of the daily routine but are not being totally successful.