Can parent give a birthday gift when in care home?

sycamore

Nov 25, 2016
can my mother give a gift when in a care home

My Mum has been in a nursing home for 2-1/2yrs, I have LPA. She started with a bank balance of >£140000. It is now approx. <£88,000.
She has never given financial gifts during this time. She used to give £100 & Xmas to my brother & I & our wives'. £50 to each of her 5 grandchildren & £25 to her great grandchildren now currently totalling 10.
Does anyone know what would be acceptable now ?

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Gift giving IMO should be something that benefits the donor emotionally, not just to perpetuate past generosity for the benefit of the recipients.

She's not given financial gifts for over 2 years, but is suddenly now remembering that she wants to do this?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello sycamore
welcome to TP
the issue of an Attorney using the donor's money for gifts is a tricky one
Personally, I do agree with Katrine - if your mum hasn't recently organised gifts, then I'd leave them - there's no particular pleasure to be gained form someone else handing out money to other people, and it's no loss to the family members who can instead remember and appreciate her past generosity
if you add up the amount she would be gifting in a year, it's not a small sum in total and her funds are dwindling so spending a week/fortnight's care fees doesn't seem a positive move
I'll admit, though, that I haven't taken any money from my dad for my birthday etc since he couldn't do it for himself - to me taking isn't the same as him giving
best wishes

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
This question comes up time and again. I still take the same amount of money for me and the kids (and brother and his kids) as I always got, and since they were born I'd bought what I wanted her to give them - she used to give me the money and wrap the present, but now for both Christmas and birthdays she will be present to hand the gift over -but my mum is in early stages, she still understands it is from her for the children.

In my mum's case, I anticipate she will be self funding( a 3 bed semi in North London goes a long way in the North West where care fees are much cheaper) and her funds won't deplete enough to need LA funding so no issues from outside parties and her gifting pattern to me/brother/and other halves is the same for 20 years. The children are still young enough (15 and 11 for mine - 9 and 7 for brother's) to expect a present off grandma when they see her given she is early stages, and in assisted living - not a home.

I think that if there is an anticipation of needing LA funding, then in the person's best interests to preserve their money for their own use.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts