Can my mother be forced to go to a care home?

FlorenceC-B

Jan 8, 2015
Watlington, Oxforshire
My sister and me are very worried about my mother’s health since she will maybe be forced into a home while her health is stable and followed at home better than in a home.

My mother is in the later stages of Alzheimer’s, my sister and I are her attorneys and hold a registered EPA done before Oct 2007.
At the present moment her health is stable and managed at her home with the support of her GP and a live in carer.
A DNR order is in place
Her home has been equipped with special showers, electrical hoists, special chairs, a commode, hospital bed and everything she may need.
Care is provided by agency carers 24/7
It is our wish she stays at home, as it was my mother's wish too.

These are her actual needs all provided at her home:
She takes over 45 minutes to be fed three times a day. She needs to drink a cup of liquid which she takes thickened to double cream consistency, every hour. She uses a machine pump nebulizer up to 8 times a day with cortisone and salbutamol, these procedures takes about 20 minutes each time. Her skin is very fragile and it breaks up easily so she is bathed and creamed every day and after each nappy change.

Can Social Services force her to go to a Home as to be able to manage their budget?
Can they overrule our wish using just a financial argument?

Thanking you for your opinions and experiences

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
My sister and me are very worried about my mother’s health since she will maybe be forced into a home while her health is stable and followed at home better than in a home.

My mother is in the later stages of Alzheimer’s, my sister and I are her attorneys and hold a registered EPA done before Oct 2007.
At the present moment her health is stable and managed at her home with the support of her GP and a live in carer.
A DNR order is in place
Her home has been equipped with special showers, electrical hoists, special chairs, a commode, hospital bed and everything she may need.
Care is provided by agency carers 24/7
It is our wish she stays at home, as it was my mother's wish too.

These are her actual needs all provided at her home:
She takes over 45 minutes to be fed three times a day. She needs to drink a cup of liquid which she takes thickened to double cream consistency, every hour. She uses a machine pump nebulizer up to 8 times a day with cortisone and salbutamol, these procedures takes about 20 minutes each time. Her skin is very fragile and it breaks up easily so she is bathed and creamed every day and after each nappy change.

Can Social Services force her to go to a Home as to be able to manage their budget?
Can they overrule our wish using just a financial argument?

Thanking you for your opinions and experiences

My step mother was a danger to the public and was sectioned under the mental health act and obviously could not be let on the street.
There was some argument over the fees but it was concluded the NHS would have to pay.
Sadly she only lived for a week in care and we had not got the paperwork through but we were advised we would have been committing an offence if we took her out without a carer and another person.

William

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Help Florence

Welcome to Talking Point.

I don`t think anyone can force your mother into a care home as long as her best interests are being met and it seems from what you write they most certainly are.

I hope this has not come from Social Services but rather from some well meaning` busybody because it sounds to me as if social services could have no concerns about your mother`s care.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello William.

My step mother was a danger to the public and was sectioned under the mental health act and obviously could not be let on the street.
There was some argument over the fees but it was concluded the NHS would have to pay.
Sadly she only lived for a week in care and we had not got the paperwork through but we were advised we would have been committing an offence if we took her out without a carer and another person.

William

I do not think you are responding to Florence. her mother has no behaviour challenges and sectioning doesn`t even come into the discussion.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
William-the OP's point is that her Mum is immobile-she has not mentioned that her Mum is violent or planning to take her out. Her Mum has extensive nursing needs and the question appears to be can the family carry on at home with the present 24/7 care provided.

Florence-I'm so sorry that your dear Mum is in the later stages of Dementia, and equally sorry that you have this added worry.

I'm assuming a couple of things here;1- the care provided is mainly paid for by the LA? and 2-there has already been some mention of moving your Mum away from home.?

Before any move can take place there would have to be a best interest meeting between yourselves and all the involved agencies and the LA. If she has CHC funding a rep from the CCG will be there also. You would be asked for your opinion. You could state that you would feel it would be cruel to move your Mum as she has the care she needs at home.

I know this will all be very stressful and painful for you so good luck.

Others will come along later who will be able to give you the benefit of their own relevant experience.

Take care

Lyn T

Oops sorry Sylvia our posts have crossed!!

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point

I think the big question is: who is paying for all this care? Is it your mother, is it the LA, or does she have CHC funding?