Can I visit my Mum?


New member
Mar 26, 2021
My mum was diagnosed with early onset vascular dementia Aug 2020. I have been in charge of stimulating her with creative and memory based activities. She is no longer able to use technology herself any more. Since the lockdown I have kept in touch with the assistance of her husband with video calls on the phone and over Zoom. BUT, I have seen a decline in her cognitive capabilities and confidence.
I live in a neighboring county with my husband and we are both keyworkers (non NHS), so we cannot form the 'typical' bubble. Given my Mums condition and as a relief for her husband, Can I actually visit as a carer?


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
Assuming your mum is at home as opposed to in a home and depending on her mobility you could visit her outside from March 29th

"Changes on 29 March
Social contact

The evidence shows that it is safer for people to meet outdoors rather than indoors. And this is why from 29 March, when most schools start to break up for the Easter holidays, outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of either 6 people (the Rule of 6) or 2 households will also be allowed, making it easier for friends and families to meet outside." .


Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @tricky_vix welcome, you'll find plenty of friendly support and advice here. Under the current restrictions you can leave home or meet with another person, including inside someone's house, if it is reasonably necessary in order to provide care/assistance to disabled or vulnerable people. Here's the current guidance (from 8th March):

Meeting others and care

You can leave home:

for respite care where that care is being provided to a vulnerable person or a person with a disability, or is a short break in respect of a looked-after child

to provide care or assistance for disabled or vulnerable people. This includes shopping for essential items and accessing services on their behalf

You can also meet with another person, including inside someone’s home, where necessary to provide care or assistance for disabled or vulnerable people. However, you must only leave home where it is reasonably necessary to provide care or assistance. This means you cannot meet socially with someone who is vulnerable unless they are in your household or support bubble or another exemption applies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Latest member