Can I visit my Dad & Mum to check on them?

BaileysMum

Mar 25, 2020
Dad is 90 with Alzheimers and very little mobility, walking with the aid of 2 sticks. We had just ordered a wheelchair from a Disability shop when he went down with a bad cold and we couldn't collect it....then Coronavirus arrived and we put him and Mum (his 85 yr old carer) in isolation with my brother and I delivering shopping and visiting daily to talk through the window. I was able to talk dad into walking into the garden to get fresh air even if only for a couple of minutes so that he could play pet my dog (the only thing that he recognises/remembers).
At the beginning of March we were just starting to look at more long term support as mum was finally admitting that she can't cope...and now we are in Lockdown.
Could someone please clarify what we can/cannot do as both my brother and I have dogs?
We need to walk dogs (classed as our exercise - dogs are used to three walks per day) - can we also visit parents every day (with or without shopping)?
On Tuesday I went out to collect and deliver groceries for them; then had to go out to collect a prescription for my partner and then had to walk the dog - got criticised for going out three times. If I could have merged all activities into one I would have!
Ideas?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @BaileysMum
a warm welcome to DTP
as I understand the guidance, unofficial carer visits are acceptable, so that seems to cover your situation

not sure who has criticised you but it may be worth trying to organise your days so you have one visit to your parents and one outing to walk the dog/exercise each day or every other day as you may need to run other errands for yourself

even with lockdown, it will be worth emailing their Local Authority Adult Services to request an assessment of your dad's care needs so you have flagged him up to Social Services, though no idea how long it will be before that can happen

if your dad would be self funding, eg decent income and his savings over £24000, you could try local care agencies, but of course they are stretched right now

walking with sticks is fine as long as your dad understands how to use them properly ... maybe look into a walking frame or a wheeled walker (bit like a shopping trolley) as they give more support ... not sure whether they are still available online for delivery

given their age and circumstances, might you be able to register them online with a supermarket for grocery deliveries but you do the ordering for them ... maybe look online for a local volunteer group who are delivering groceries, ... I have milk delivery from a local milkman/farmer who delivers other supplies eg eggs and potatoes .... so that would be one task you wouldn't have to worry about

now you've found us do keep posting, there's lots of support here

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95