Can I use some of my husband's funds for essential alterations

paddiwak

Dec 14, 2015
My husband is at present in a Care Home but will shortly be moving to a Nursing Home (that will be another thread!!). I have downsized to a bungalow and there is about £40,000 to go into an account for my husband. He has just been awarded CHC.
There are certain improvements I need to make to the bungalow to make it safe for myself (I'm 76). Some of these were flagged up by the Surveyors Report.
My question is 'As the local council insisted on the bungalow being in joint names can I take half the cost of the necessary improvements out of my husband's money and half out of mine?
I did ask this question of the recent Legal Q & A session but didn't receive a reply hence asking the community for help.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If these alterations add to the value of the property or are necessary for the maintenance of the property then I think you would be on solid ground using his money. If the changes are for you alone and not adding to the value of his share of the property then it could be questioned.

You could of course go ahead and use it and if it is questioned plead ignorance and replace it in his account.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @paddiwak
you say some issies were flagged up in the surveyor's report, so to me that means they are necessary and therefore a joint expense
anything for your personal benefit, I would suggest is for you to pay
and as marionq implies, keep careful records just in case

paddiwak

Dec 14, 2015
Thank you Marionq and Shedrech for your replies. Some things that need replacing are old windows at the front of the property which are not good quality double glazing. I've received two quotes for replacing like for like or with bay windows. If I go for bay then I know I will need to pay the difference to keep the finances in a correct order. The patio is uneven and needs relaying which I feel is partly for my safety but will also enhance the property. The other area needing expert assistance is in the bathroom which has been made into a wet room but the floor has been laid incorrectly so water floods across the floor. I need to get a plumber in to see what would be the simplest solution as I do not want to have to start hacking up the concrete floor.
I feel that these are items where the cost should be shared and as you have said, keep all itemised invoices in case this expenditure is questioned in the future.
I thought once I had got settled in my bungalow (I've recently downsized) I might have a preiod of calm but not so as my OH now has to go into a NH with all the trauma that will entail once I find one that will take him!!
Thankfully I have lots of good friends nearby and on this Forum, who chivvy me on and keep me going. :)