Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve been feeling generally unwell, but was determined I would achieve today ... so I not only stripped my bed, but hauled the mattress topper downstairs as well. I know I’ve washed it before.

I huffed & puffed trying to force it in the machine, I sat on the floor & tried kicking it into the machine, but no chance. It wasn’t going to fit. So, I poured a coffee & tried to figure it out. I now had a mattress topper, which I’d only wanted to freshen,but now had trainer prints on it too :eek: Yay, more issues & less solutions

Never one to simply give in. I decided an out of the box solution was needed

Much to Pooch’s disgust, I banned him from the lounge & carefully laid the mattress topper on the lounge floor. Believe it or not ... a carpet shampooer has an upholstery attachment, that with careful usage & determination, can be used to clean a mattress topper :eek:

Said topper is now back on the bed, smelling sweet & will be staying there until I forget the trials involved in cleaning it :D

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
You go girl :) with all you have to contend with, a mattress topper doesn't stand a chance! Hope your victory made you feel a bit better.....some days even the smallest achievement can give you a massive boost

Btw if you want to try a different method next time, when the children were little and I didn't have a washing machine, I'd put their duvets in the bath with some warm water and soap and 'trample the grapes' (sometimes I got the kids to do it....with clean feet ;)). Quite soothing really, tho a little longwinded with having to rinse and repeat. A carpet shampooer would have been a lot quicker...:p

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Well done that woman!! :)

Useful tips as well. I have a carpet cleaner. Never thought of using it on a mattress

I remember those WWMD - without washing machine days - took me back to when I washed blankets in the bath :eek:
Wasn’t easy.... but I guess duvets are a lot lighter so thank you for that tip :)

Now where do you think I could get a mangle these days??

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
"Now where do you think I could get a mangle these days??" lol 2jays, next thing you'll be wanting a dolly and a posser......now I'm feeling extremely old! :rolleyes::eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @charlie10

I did think about taking it to the bathroom (I have washed duvets that way in the past, but the thought of trying to wring it out by hand, solo, was a step too far. I have nightmare memories of doing that & I just knew it wouId take days to dry. I was well pleased with myself for thinking outside the box on this one :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've bath stomped duvets. The kids ones fit in the washing machine, but one bonfire night, after taking kids to a display, we got home to find ours needed washing. We weren't sure if was dog or cat. We were still on summer one, so put winter one on bed at least, and it hadn't gone through duvet. Think OH threw it through bathroom window so it didn't drip in house.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @2jays

I too remember kneeling in the bathroom, back breaking leaning into the bath & pounding on the blankets. Didn’t think of @charlie10’s “trample the grapes” :rolleyes: We had a mangle at school, for washing our own “home” clothes. I did think longingly of it when trying to wring out the blankets.

Have you ever tried picking up s soaking wet king sized duvet??? Trust me. It’s not light. It holds half a bath of water :eek:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Well done Sam, that was a very clever idea!

I'm afraid I tend to throw away our duvets when they are dirty (only buy cheap ones anyway) but I know that is not very PC these days :oops:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Morning @2jays

I too remember kneeling in the bathroom, back breaking leaning into the bath & pounding on the blankets. Didn’t think of @charlie10’s “trample the grapes” :rolleyes: We had a mangle at school, for washing our own “home” clothes. I did think longingly of it when trying to wring out the blankets.

Have you ever tried picking up s soaking wet king sized duvet??? Trust me. It’s not light. It holds half a bath of water :eek:

Another tip thank you

DONT WASH KING SIZED DUVET IN THE BATH...

Well not without dolly, posser and mangle:D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve bought machine washable duvets, a king size medium tog will fit in the machine (with a little huffing & puffing), but I bought a 10cm thick mattress topper on special offer. Cheaper than a new mattress, but still, at over £50, can’t throw that out @Slugsta ... although while sitting on the floor kicking it into the machine ... I did consider doing just that :eek:

I buy cheap pillows & throw them out. No matter what I’ve tried, they do not dry well after washing. Lumpy pillows are not restful :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Another tip thank you

DONT WASH KING SIZED DUVET IN THE BATH...

Well not without dolly, posser and mangle:D

Ummmm ... what’s a “posser”???? I know what a mangle is, pretty sure a “dolly” is the scrubbing board, but head scratching on the other. Yes. I’m far too lazy to google it :rolleyes:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
D480420D-1D1C-4FDE-A39C-89DCF0656F25.jpeg 0FD76D28-13F8-4848-9982-BE851B0853A3.jpeg 157FCEB0-A58A-49D4-9F47-EE018DB3C673.jpeg A must for the 1900’s house keeper

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
No labels, which one is which?

I thought a dolly was the thing you battered the washing with.

My mum was always rather set in the past and always wished she had a mangle. My MIL sill has a spin dryer despite having an up to date modern washing machine with a good spin speed.