Can I ... Should I?

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
"The hardest part is working out what to paint, in what order, so Pooch doesn’t get near it :eek: I don’t think “glossed” Pooch wouId be a good look :rolleyes:'

We've got painters in the house (fortunately sent by insurers after a leak) and I've got 'gates' (large bits of cardboard) across doorways to keep the dogs out....the painters aren't too amused about having to navigate them and we already have a noseprint! (checked noses and no sign of paint....maybe wiped it off on the carpet :rolleyes:). Trying not to make them spend all day either locked up or on their own in the garden (that's the dogs, not the painters.....although.....:D )

Hope you finish soon and baby girl rewards you with cuddles and dry nappies ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have the same @charlie10 ... I shield one side of the door while painting, then open it & put a stool in front so Pooch can’t knock it, I’ve had a piece of MDF across a doorway to stop Pooch walking into a room & rubbing against the door frame :rolleyes:

Pooch is so insistent on being near me, I’m convinced a paint can will be upended soon :eek:

I hope your leak wasn’t too bad ;) Shortly after they moved here, the shower poured through into the kitchen, I don’t fancy that one, but some friends were flooded a few years ago, the whole downstairs :eek: with burst river banks :(

If the painters aren’t happy ... they can go in the garden :D

6’ Louvre doors, I did one side of one today with a side of one door & a door frame. I think I’m flagging

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

It’s the only way I know :rolleyes: I’m not finished, but I’ve done a lot. Tomorrow is clear up & anticipate the cuddles day :D

Tomorrow is also bath Pooch day ... he needs a freshen up :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
To be honest @Slugsta he was very good in the bath, but a nightmare after it. For the 3 years we’ve had him, he has always dried himself by rolling around on a large towel

Not this time. He sat on the towel & just looked at me. No matter what I did or said, he wouldn’t budge. Of course, he had to do this on a day when I couldn’t find mums hairdryer (I don't use one). So, I was trying to mop floors etc, hunting for the missing hairdryer (still missing) & getting quiet cross

However ... Baby Girl is here :D She’s adorable of course :p Not only have I had cuddles, but I’ve even fed her :) Yay. Nana Sam is well happy

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I did @Slugsta, it was nice to have more real time with them. We mostly just chilled together, with a walk around the town for a couple of hours on Saturday, just perfect :)

The weather has been a bit better, so I’ve given the courtyard, hard standing & path a good “first go” with the power jet washer. It looks better than it did, improving the “curb appeal” everyone talks about. Unfortunately it makes the garden & garage look like it needs a spruce up o_O

A friend is coming over on Friday to give me a kick up the proverbial to get me motivated again.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Slugsta its something to do :rolleyes: :D

I got a big boost last night, my neighbour J popped in to say “hi” & was raving about all the work I’ve done & how much lighter it looks & kept saying “well done” :) I now need to take that & keep going

I managed to get a massage last night, my first in about 6 weeks. I didn’t want to go & pass on the lurgi to her o_O Apparently the awful pain in my left hip is because my gluteus aren’t firing properly :eek: I’m to clench my bum as often as I can to restart them & hopefully the pain will ease. ;) This getting old lark is no fun :eek:

Meanwhile I’m daydreaming of a small house, with lots of storage & very little needing to be done so I can rest up .. that and a week on a beach in the sun :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
My old friend K (kids in the same class in primary school), offered to come over & help me paint. Fool that I am, I accepted. No, that’s not fair ... or is it

Do you ever think “yes please” but then question yourself?

I think if I met K now, I might well walk away, but we have 25+ years of history & I'm glad we do. She is the sort of person who would go hungry to help you, sleep on the floor so you can have her bed, she’s the friend you want to be .. but these days, she hides that part of herself

Anyway. These days, I’m likely to go 3 or 4 days without saying a word out loud. I talk to Pooch, but the little blighter doesn’t say a lot back, except to “grumble” doggy style, in reply, mostly he just cocks his head & listens. So to suddenly have someone here whose mouth doesn’t stop moving, even when you leave the room, well, it’s a bit overpowering :eek: I kid you not. I’ve said I’m going to put the kettle on, walked out the room .. she’s still talking .. walk back in .. she’s still talking :rolleyes: It took a few hours to get my head round that

Bless her, she is a hundred mile an hour, Duracell bunny on speed. Bending down to the tray & up again to paint wasn’t fast enough for her, so she picked up the tray in one hand & roller in the other. Yup. She was so fast she pushed the roller right over the edge & dumped the paint right out of the tray onto the carpet. She then couldn’t keep still & was walking the paint around the room ... till I screamed at her “STOP MOVING”.

I’m running into the kitchen, grabbing the kitchen roll & tearing off strips. Lift that foot (she did), sticking paper under her foot, repeat with the other

Then it’s wipes to clean up as much as possible. Telling her to stand still. Honestly, I could have strangled her, but instead we both laughed & carried on

I got the carpet shampooer set up & set it going. K then wanted to try. She used it like a regular vacuum. I managed to make her slow down enough to give it a chance & she was then impressed at how well it works. By that time she’d used 1/2 the tank :eek: Blooming Duracell bunny that she is.

She came back today. Dropped the tray AGAIN, but caught it just before it upended. She’s emulsioned about half the area I’d done with 1/8 of the paint, but used about 6/8 of the paint :eek: Much n all as I love her ... I hope to have finished before she offers again. I just can’t afford her usage

I have to do the skirting in the lounge & that room is finished. Skirting & a ridiculous bit of wooden archway, then the kitchen diner is more or less finished. I’m really getting it done. Maybe a day or two of painting left :D

I’m not sure if a skip, charity donations, free-cycle or ??? Is the way to go now, but clearing / decluttering is next. My aim is to have it done by the end of the month

I’m sick to the back teeth of this blooming house. I want to be gone. I don’t think I even care about the money. I just want out

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Sam, your friend sounds more of a liability than a help! :( I really hope you can get the house 'done', sold and out of your life very soon (((hugs))).

Son was painting the garden shed once, when he was younger and wanted some extra £. He dropped/spilled the first tin of paint/wood preserver, so we had to buy another. That plus the cost of paying him made it a very expensive paint job for us!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I think you reach the stage that you have when you have done so much in a short space of time and you just want things concluded to be able to move onto the next stage of your life.

Your friend...how annoying but sorry ...reading your post made me laugh out loud!:D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yes @Slugsta , she’s always been the same & she knows it. But she does make me laugh. She tells it as it is, no hold barred, she makes me sound subtle :eek: I told youngest K had been round for two days & he asked “have your ears stopped ringing yet” :rolleyes: He knows her well ;)

Sounds like K taught your son how to paint :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yes @love.dad.but.. I have reached that point. I’m done. I’m pretty much looking at renting anywhere for 6 months, just to get out, while I work out where to live later

I guess 25 years of friendship allowed me to scowl at her, then we both laughed about it. Mishaps are part of her charm. :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

Yes, I’ve been in limbo a while now. It’d be good to move on, even if I plan on doing nothing :rolleyes:

Yesterday I took down the kitchen nets & cleaned the windows. No mean feat when you suffer with vertigo :eek: , today I’ve continues the clean & clear work ... I’m shattered. I’ve not finished, but the charity shop pile has grown & this half if the house is looking much better

I will have to paint tomorrow so I can put things back in place. One day at a time ....;)

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Sam, you clearly know that the way to eat the elephant is one bite at a tome, the same as anything else. I think it is now very much smaller than it used to be.