Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
There is a bug going round @Amy in the US but Doc will only tell me to rest, drink lots of fluids & take it easy. So I’ll let it ride for a few days (more). I probably picked it up at the surgery o_O Doctors surgery’s & hospitals are not good for your health :rolleyes:

I’ll take the hugs instead. They cure everything:eek:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m not sure a cork is what you need! Have another hug instead. The tummy upset might be reaction to all you’ve been through. You are drinking plenty aren’t you? I know the feeling of wanting to drive away! I did find (even though it ended up being a day away, not a week) that a lot of the rubbish was in my head...and not in the bags of paperwork waiting to be dealt with.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Hugs from me again and I found that poem you like - such a perfect poem!!

Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Nothing has happened.

Everything remains exactly as it was.
I am I, and you are you,
and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.

Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was.
There is absolute and unbroken continuity.
What is this death but a negligible accident?

Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just round the corner.

All is well.
Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/death-is-nothing-at-all-by-henry-scott-holland

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Amethyst59

I’ll take the hug :D Yes, lots of drinking, not all of it alcoholic :p

I’ve made an inroad into the paperwork, I’ve started a file, note page for each bank / bill etc & have been on hold most of the day ... what boring music they play :( Tomorrow I need to send off 2 death certs, everyone else wants to send me a form first :rolleyes: One even arranged an immediate refund into my account (just on a phone call :eek::eek:) .. they duplicated the refund :rolleyes: I’ll leave off telling them till Monday. Sky, electric & gas, all transferred to my bank details :confused: I’m going to be broke real quick if the house takes long to sell :eek:

Both sons phoned to check in on me :)

Pooch is miserable. We only managed a shortish walk this morning as it was drizzling. I think he misses brother. o_O

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I feel you have used a few from the bank so...hugs and plenty more. Pretty thankless task trying to pull everything together...keep going.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Sam Luvit
As always have been thinking of you and silently keeping up to date on your thread.
Hope your guts are feeling a little more settled now - I reckon it's a bit like what our family call 'executive illness'. You push everything into the background, keep going on adrenalin, and use up every ounce of oomph you have got. Then when it all suddenly stops and you are able to breathe again, you plummet like a stone with the dreaded lurgy.

Sorry that you are having to wade through the mire of paperwork - I know how dire it is. Thought this might possibly help if you have any more calls to make:

If you’re stuck in phone queue hell – listening to endless Muzak and constantly being told that your call is very important to the company – there are some phone queue ‘cheats’ that often get you straight to a human assistant.

Try the following call centre cheat codes:

• Press ‘0’ and ‘#’ in quick succession
  • Press ‘0’ as soon as you hear the robo-voice (this connects you to a real person straightaway with some – but unfortunately not all – automated phone systems).
  • Don’t say or press anything (lots of automated call systems are designed to ensure all calls get connected – so if you don’t select any of the options, some systems assume you don’t have a touch tone phone and put you straight through to an operator).
I personally favour the last one, or alternatively press the 'Sales' option - that always gets picked up quickly. Then apologise and ask to be transferred :rolleyes:.

Lots of hugs winging their way to the South Coast. Take care Sam.

XX

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @love.dad.but.. more hugs, more hugs :) That’ll get me over the hump with the boring bank music :rolleyes:

It’s only been a week, but I don’t feel like I’ve achieved much :eek: I’m still emptying drawers & finding biscuits, chocolate bars & money :p

House valuation on Monday, so I need to try to focus on cleaning up & sorting it to look better. I seem to have piles of washing to put away & big gaps where all the “hospital” equipment was.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Starting with HUGE HUGS

Not totally catched up.... sorry been with little people and find myself using their language....

Not totally caught up, but from what I’ve read, you have managed to do an amazing amount of stuff and it’s “only” a week

Here is an egg moment....

Probate valuation
Clear surfaces, hide bits into already groaning cupboards, don’t go mad turning house into a spread for an Homes & gardens editorial

Selling valuation
Same as above, but maybe clean the bath... :D

1jay nearly better. I think, apart from being home, he has appreciated the peace and quiet...

Have I given you a hug recently??

HUG

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im pretty sure you cant sell the house till probate has been granted, so if this valuation is for probate I really wouldnt bother trying to make it look nice. Once probate has been granted you can pretty it up for selling if you really feel you must. Vacuuming the floor always makes a difference, I find.

BLIP

Jul 22, 2018
As a few of above I would be barred from using TP if I actually said what I think about SW and so called care agency ! Had the same problem with alarm too ! Eventually wrapped it in bath towels and put it in a drawer, not much good in an emergency though is it ?

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Hi Sam, it sounds as if you are going full steam ahead - please be kind to yourself and try to take it easy over the weekend.
I totally agree with everyone above on the probate valuation front, hoover up and let them wander. They're just looking at the shell. Valuation for sale tidying up you could do while waiting for probate to be granted.
You can put the house up for sale while waiting, as long as prospective buyers know the score.

I just hope you give yourself time to absorb everything that's happened, concentrate on the funeral and tackle the probate after that
I know it's helpful to keep busy and that's what I thought I would do, but in truth I collapsed. Not everyone's like me of course and only you know as the days go on how you want to get through this.

Now for my deposit for the bank - a mountain of eiderdown (((((HUGS))))) for you and Pooch to dive in to, whenever you feel like. Xxxxx

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Starting with HUGE HUGS

Not totally catched up.... sorry been with little people and find myself using their language....

Not totally caught up, but from what I’ve read, you have managed to do an amazing amount of stuff and it’s “only” a week

Probate valuation
Clear surfaces, hide bits into already groaning cupboards, don’t go mad turning house into a spread for an Homes & gardens editorial

Selling valuation

1jay nearly better. I think, apart from being home, he has appreciated the peace and quiet...

HUG
Starting with HUGE HUGS

Probate valuation

Selling valuation

HUG
Thank you @love.dad.but.. more hugs, more hugs :) That’ll get me over the hump with the boring bank music :rolleyes:

It’s only been a week, but I don’t feel like I’ve achieved much :eek: I’m still emptying drawers & finding biscuits, chocolate bars & money :p

House valuation on Monday, so I need to try to focus on cleaning up & sorting it to look better. I seem to have piles of washing to put away & big gaps where all the “hospital” equipment was.
Probate value is not selling value, do not patch up, do not improve, the lower the probate value the better. Sanitary clean only. After you’ve got probate value (that’s what they base inheritance tax on) then you can clean, tidy, patch, paint to get the best sales valuation.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Im pretty sure you cant sell the house till probate has been granted, so if this valuation is for probate I really wouldnt bother trying to make it look nice. Once probate has been granted you can pretty it up for selling if you really feel you must. Vacuuming the floor always makes a difference, I find.
You can market it with any buyer given the knowledge that probate has been applied for exchange cannot take place until probate has been granted and document received. This is what happened when FIL house was sold. Didn't caise any delay or problems. Straightforward probate granted 6 weeks after application.