Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve sent brother to bed. Maybe he can grab an hour before going to work. I’m supposed to be the emotional one, but he’s realky upset. Apparently Mum kept saying .. “why are you doing this to me? Just take me out & shoot me”

When I came down, he was helping her with some water, I watched, but couldn’t see her swallow, then she started chocking. Im fearing the worst (swallowing now stopped), but hoping it was just a one off “going down the wrong way”.

For the first time in my life, my mum has warm hands :(.

She trying to tell me something, she still knows it’s me, saying “no Sam ..” as I try to guess what she wants

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Bless her heart...and yours....so very hard for you. We are with you in spirit. Feel the arms round you, and our thoughts surrounding you.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve called out the DN. Mum can’t swallow, gave her 1ml water through the syringe & she chocked. Then the pulled on my saying. “I can’t stand the pain. I can’t stand the pain”

She kicking her legs, heavy breathing, while I hold her hand & try to tell her it’s ok :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sam. I'm so sorry to read your update. I hope the DN arrives soon and can make your mum more comfortable.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Thinking of you both Sam and sending (((hugs))) of support.
Hope the DN arrives soon and your Mum's pain is eased.
Heartbreaking for you to watch.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
It's absolutely awful this stage, not wanting someone you love to go, but for this torture to stop, they must leave.

You have deepest sympathy and understanding of this cruel heartbreaking situation x

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Oh Sam! :( It sounds as if the dose of morphine in the syringe driver needs to be increased. No point in it being there if mum is still in so much pain.

Sending you strength and courage - and more ((((((((hugs)))))))) of course!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I saw in dad the swallowing reflex went suddenly as Slugsta has suggested she may need her pain relief increased and maybe a review to see if any other meds she is not having will help her if she has reached this final stage. It is just horrible to witness...no other way to describe it...but you and your brother are continuing to do a fantastic job.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Just a thought - if mum's swallowing reflex really has gone, it is worth asking about the desirability of giving something to dry up her secretions. It would mean that she doesn't have to deal with her own saliva - but could also make her more thirsty . . .

Earthgirl72

Feb 2, 2016
Really hoping that the DN has been by now and managed to ease your mum's pain. I remember this stage with FIL (not dementia, but just as heartbreaking.) I really hope that the meds can be tweaked and bring your mum to a more peaceful state. I am sorry if this is coming out all wrong... I really don't know how to say what I want to, but cannot just drop by without posting.

Leaving more (((((hugs))))) and the promise of as many more as you need to get through this.

Sam xx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The DN couldn’t come or something, @Izzy so Hospice came out, over 2 hours later. I was sitting cuddling her, she was trying not to move as it hurt so much, she said the cystitis was back :(

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
The DN couldn’t come or something, @Izzy so Hospice came out, over 2 hours later. I was sitting cuddling her, she was trying not to move as it hurt so much, she said the cystitis was back :(

Sam this is such a heartbreaking time for you ..your mum is so strong and has amazing willpower she’s fighting all the way (( I had this with my mum and dad a long time ago now )) and it is the worst not being able to help .But you are right there by her side and she knows that ...please be gentle with yourself and know we on TP are all thinking of you...wraparound hugs stay strong A. x