Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I feel sad for you that after finally getting a good relationship with your mum, Alzheimer's decided to pop in and set the bomb off :(

I hope the ' chat ' your brother wants is a good one and maybe more of a offer of support for you.

It's a cruel disease,slowly taking our loved ones while we plod on , trying desperately to hold on to them. Be kind to yourself Sam, you are a wonderful lady who deserves good things to come x

Right off for a bath, before I face tonight x

I have no idea what the chat was :confused: I had to drive round his block 4 times before finding a space between a white van and some bins :eek: , he fitted a new DVD drive in my laptop, I took him shopping, lost him in lidl, found him, dropped him home & drove back to mum :confused:

He did seem to have something on his mind, but wouldn't say anything, even though I probed & bluntly asked later?

Men :rolleyes:

Thank you "blushes". I'm only doing anything you & many others are doing.

Don't try making me jealous, just coz you can gave a bath :eek:

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
I've just been reading another thread, seeing a word I only hear my mum say these days & it made me think

I miss my mum.

I've lost both my parents, one physically. One mentally. Neither should have happened :(

I don't miss the mum of my childhood, she was not what you'd call maternal, just got on with it, but I do miss the mum of my adulthood. The one I fought with to be a person, then built a good relationship with. I miss her. I see her sometimes, when I can keep life calm, entertained & moving slowly.

I've tried to bury the independent streak that runs through my very core, to not correct her (I did say try), to bring out her kinder side

The word I read was "smidgen" :), another of her favourites is "a little minute", it's been a family tease, asking if that's an Irish little minute & is it less than an English little minute? I sometimes ask if she can wait a "big English minute". It's just another way of raising the humour levels

Just musing on the little things in life :)

Oh Sam:(. What a lovely but sad post. Things can just catch you sideways, can't they? And then you're right back 'in times before'.

Heartbreaking.

I just love tge expression 'a little minute':D

Sending a warm hug. X

Margi, hope you enjoyed those bubbles even if it turned Sam green thinking about you havng a soak. :) X

Last edited:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh Sam:(. What a lovely but sad post. Things can just catch you sideways, can't they? And then you're right back 'in times before'.

Heartbreaking.

Sending a warm hug. X

Margi, hope you enjoyed those bubbles even if it turned Sam green thinking about you havng a soak. :) X

Thanks Molly

I'm grand really :D.

I thought the shade of green appropriate to my Irishness :eek:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi everyone

Back in action tomorrow :eek:

It's the quiz again at mums place :D

So I will share a paper with mum and go head to head with the few residents that participate in the quiz.

We all put a £1.00 in kitty and whoever wins bags the kitty ;)

Last time we were beat by one point, ( didn't really help when mum shouted out answers to some questions )

I'm not bad at general knowledge, but was caught out by one point last time :D
Then mum called man who won a naughty name !!!

Anyhow it is quite ' clicky ' and I noticed last time that mum was told where to sit ( not near little group of regular players) because mum has dementia, she did not notice she was been left out :eek:

I actually think some who know mum has dementia are frightened of either catching it or having any communication with her !!

So the daughter from h*ll is returning tomorrow, nobody leaves my mum out and I will always be there for her ( even though she can drive me mad )

So wish me luck :D although as old as this group is ( eighties and ninetys ) they are a bright bunch of golden oldies lol x

Last edited:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire

Heartbreaking.

Sending a warm hug. X

Thanks Molly, I did x nights finished for few days so will be able to spend some time getting jobs done round home etc... I normally pick up mum and bring her here for a meal, then while chatting with mum I drag the never decreasing pile of ironing out and attack that at same time x

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
I have no idea what the chat was :confused: I had to drive round his block 4 times before finding a space between a white van and some bins :eek: , he fitted a new DVD drive in my laptop, I took him shopping, lost him in lidl, found him, dropped him home & drove back to mum :confused:

He did seem to have something on his mind, but wouldn't say anything, even though I probed & bluntly asked later?

Men :rolleyes:

Thank you "blushes". I'm only doing anything you & many others are doing.

Don't try making me jealous, just coz you can gave a bath :eek:

So is that what I have to do ?? Take my invisible to lidl, lose him, and not bother finding him :D

Thanks, I will try this and see if it works lol xx

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Oh, all the best to you and your mum at the quiz, Margi. Go daughter-zilla-braniac! Hope you beat them hands down. More importantly hope your mum and you sit exactly where you'd like to. Consider some virtual TP bouncers at your shoulders to shadow and 'guide' proceedings :D

Hope you get some break in between quizzes, caring, family and mounds of ironing...

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Margi, I hope that you and your mum enjoy the quiz tomorrow - sitting exactly wherever you want!

Hubby and I both enjoy quizzing but it has never been Mum's 'thing'. The staff where Mum lives (lived?) did a quiz just before Christmas and tried to make sure there was something for everyone. Knowing that Mum had always been very religious, they asked her where was Jesus born. Mum thought for a while then said 'England?' Isn't it strange that it can be the little things that hit us hardest?!

Sam, I do hope that the cold is finally shifting, you really deserve some let-up of the constant rubbish you are dealing with!

I also feel a little jealous at the talk of baths - I had to get rid of our bath a couple of years back as I cannot get in/out now. Usually I am perfectly happy with a shower but sometimes I would love a bubbly bath!

Hoping that nasty little bugs - whether causing colds, UTIs or chest infections - bu$$er off soon!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi everyone

Back in action tomorrow :eek:

It's the quiz again at mums place :D

So I will share a paper with mum and go head to head with the few residents that participate in the quiz.

We all put a £1.00 in kitty and whoever wins bags the kitty ;)

Last time we were beat by one point, ( didn't really help when mum shouted out answers to some questions )

I'm not bad at general knowledge, but was caught out by one point last time :D
Then mum called man who won a naughty name !!!

Anyhow it is quite ' clicky ' and I noticed last time that mum was told where to sit ( not near little group of regular players) because mum has dementia, she did not notice she was been left out :eek:

I actually think some who know mum has dementia are frightened of either catching it or having any communication with her !!

So the daughter from h*ll is returning tomorrow, nobody leaves my mum out and I will always be there for her ( even though she can drive me mad )

So wish me luck :D although as old as this group is ( eighties and ninetys ) they are a bright bunch of golden oldies lol x

I must have missed you swotting up in Liverpool lol.

You go girl, make them see your mum, not the dementia :D. I suspect you will be head down & grabbing every point, while schussing her on shouting out the answers

Mines a double from your winnings :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Evening all,

Margi, I hope that you and your mum enjoy the quiz tomorrow - sitting exactly wherever you want!

Hubby and I both enjoy quizzing but it has never been Mum's 'thing'. The staff where Mum lives (lived?) did a quiz just before Christmas and tried to make sure there was something for everyone. Knowing that Mum had always been very religious, they asked her where was Jesus born. Mum thought for a while then said 'England?' Isn't it strange that it can be the little things that hit us hardest?!

Sam, I do hope that the cold is finally shifting, you really deserve some let-up of the constant rubbish you are dealing with!

I also feel a little jealous at the talk of baths - I had to get rid of our bath a couple of years back as I cannot get in/out now. Usually I am perfectly happy with a shower but sometimes I would love a bubbly bath!

Hoping that nasty little bugs - whether causing colds, UTIs or chest infections - bu$$er off soon!

Hi Slugsta

Quizzes are not my thing at all, but I'm willing Margi in with her mum :). It is the little things that punch you in the gut. So out of proportion sad :(

I happily shower, had a lovely spa bath at home, but used it a few times a year as never had time to wallow. Now I'd die for one, but as mum is asking his long I'm going to be in a 5 min shower ..., not worth the effort of trying for a long soak & I could really do with one. Hey ho. She sends a minimum 45 mins, then tells me she was no more than 10 mins :eek:

I think we need a "bug buster" to call in :D

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Just love it Margie how you're supporting your lovely Mum going to the quiz, keeping my fingers crossed you beat them and bag the prize money.xx

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Thanks all for your comments x

Yes I suspect I will be like an avenging angel tomorrow ha ha

Last time was actually hilarious for me, thought it was in the bag !!

Beaten by 92 year old jimmy :eek:

Then mum called him a name, starts with P and ends with rat !!

My sons girlfriend also went, lovely girl of 19, she laughed so much at the scenario and wants to go again, but she is busy this week.

Slugsta your memory of your mum and where Jesus was born reminds me of mum and memory test, one of the questions was ' who was the lady prime minister back in the eighties ' ??? No idea said mum, ' but she stole the milk off children '

Some things she remembers, other things, no chance :(

I was having too much of a good time in Liverpool to study :D

Ps I will have to gag mum tomorrow or she may shout out answers lol

Last edited:

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Hi Sam what a saga you're having with the curtains poor you.
Glad your Mum had a glass of the prossecco :)
Hope you're both feeling better you with your cold and poor Mum with her uti.
My Mum is talking so much more rubbish lately and there's a blankness in her eyes going to speak to the GP again tomorrow.Thankfully tonight she's gone to bed in her nightie:)
We went to Mass at 4pm no chance of 8am this morning as Mum was fast asleep.I usually cook our Priest breakfast after Mass and Mum and I join him so he had to cook his own this morning.
After Mass he asked us to have a cuppa with him but it was sundowning time for Mum and she was starting to get anxious so we had to get home asap she was saying her Mum didn't know where she was so needed to get back to her so sad really.
I am going to get help in Sam for a few hours a week just to enable me to get jobs done clean out garage tidy back garden etc I can't leave Mum as she panics if I'm out of the room for more than a couple of minutes.I've just been waiting for her to get rid of these uti's she's not been right since Xmas.
Also to have the time for the much loved much missed soak in the bath.x

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
My Mum is talking so much more rubbish lately and there's a blankness in her eyes going to speak to the GP again tomorrow.Thankfully tonight she's gone to bed in her nightie:)
We went to Mass at 4pm no chance of 8am this morning as Mum was fast asleep.I usually cook our Priest breakfast after Mass and Mum and I join him so he had to cook his own this morning.
After Mass he asked us to have a cuppa with him but it was sundowning time for Mum and she was starting to get anxious so we had to get home asap she was saying her Mum didn't know where she was so needed to get back to her so sad really.
I am going to get help in Sam for a few hours a week just to enable me to get jobs done clean out garage tidy back garden etc I can't leave Mum as she panics if I'm out of the room for more than a couple of minutes.I've just been waiting for her to get rid of these uti's she's not been right since Xmas.

Your a wonderful daughter to your mum, I saw it myself, how caring you are to her x
Am really glad you are going to get some help.

I watched on BBC iPlayer Beti and David. Lost for words.

The lady was fabulous, but made me cry. She only had help at the start of programme for a few hours per week, then found she was entitled to 36 hours per week.

Your lovely mum may even make a new ' friend ' with the extra help ??

Hopefully you can have your well deserved soak too x

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Slugsta your memory of your mum and where Jesus was born reminds me of mum and memory test, one of the questions was ' who was the lady prime minister back in the eighties ' ??? No idea said mum, ' but she stole the milk off children '

Some things she remembers, other things, no chance :(

I was having too much of a good time in Liverpool to study :D

Ps I will have to gag mum tomorrow or she may shout out answers lol

I'll be sitting with fingers crossed fir you ... you can't be beaten by Mr P**tt again, you'll never live it down on TP :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex

Rosy you need the break

I get that your mum needs you & it could have been seen by a blind man how you are with her, but you need a bit of time too. I felt awful telling mum I need some time, but she's earlier on that your mum,but she sort of gets it

I had a garden swing, 3 seater with sun canopy at home, I bought it to mums £0& she loves to suit there in the summer. I found a "fire in a bucket" idea online & did that last year to keep the midges at bay & her warm. Real simple & cheap :)

You get a tin / metal bucket, add big stones, put mesh on top. Add fluid & drop in a match. Heats for a few hours, safe to use too :D

I got some cushions & we sit and rock on the swing. Mid afternoon, so it's warm, she falls asleep & I either read if daydream :rolleyes:

Thanks the Prosec ... Prossec .. the wine was good :D