Can I ... Should I?

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Toony, I would certainly have suggested trying nasal steroids for someone with your problem. If it still persists, a short course of oral steroids can sometimes help, although some GPs would consider that to be a bit of 'overkill' (cos they aren't living without their sense of smell/taste!).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Toony Oony - I had a spell of labyrinthitis a few years ago and it was awful - I'm presuming this is similar to vertigo. I also have no sense of smell - I suppose my taste is impaired but sadly that doesn't stop me eating! The GP detected nasal polyps. I resisted having them removed for a few years until it came to the point that I had no option. I'm so glad I did. My sense of smell hasn't returned but I still use a steroid nasal spray. I've had no issues re labyrinthitis since - I don't know if they were connected or not but just thought I'd mention it.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Thanks @Sam Luvit @Slugsta and @Izzy for your helpful advice re my little problem. When I finally get a GP appointment, I'll let you know what (if anything) they do. I rang 5 mins after they opened this morning, and all appointments for the day had already gone. I'll keep trying ... I can put up with the lack of smell, annoying as it is, but the weird spinning sensation, and inability to turn my head or bend forward without the world spinning for the last 3 weeks, is getting me down.
It's amazing how much you rely on smelling things, good and bad. I am a self-confessed perfume addict :( and having been 'cold turkey' for over 3 months now is no fun. I still squirt but cannot gauge strength ..... that is until I see people reeling away from me with their eyes watering :D At the moment I cannot even smell bleach! I'll keep you posted.

X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Toony Oony i only ever buy one perfume now. The one I bought years ago - I have a notion I can remember the smell! I’m also very careful about not putting too much on.

When I had labyrinthitis the head spinning was awful. I was given Stemitil for it. When it hit me the spinning was bad then I was sick then I was very sleepy - until the next bout! I do hope you get it sorted soon.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Toony, you can buy Stemetil over the counter (I think you have to say it is for the nausea associated with migraine as that is its OTC licence) and the sea-sickness drug Stugeron (which you can also get OTC) can also be helpful. Your GP would probably find it helpful to know if either of these have been beneficial. Unless things have changed completely in the 8 years since I was in practice . . .

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
@Slugsta - thanks for your very timely reply. Funny you should say that. I always take Stugeron when I fly as a matter of course, and I was heartened that I felt so well for the outgoing and returning flights last week. Now I know why! I got up early and was at the GP's as they opened at 7.30 (yawn) and have an appointment later this morning. I will mention the Stugeron.
Thanks again
X

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Slugsta and co
Managed an appointment with one of the longer standing practice partners ;). After examining my ears (which she says are OK) and a barrage of questions, she remains convinced it is the inner ear and is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). She herself suffers with the condition and said everything I said (including about the Stugeron) seemed to suggest this. However .... the smell and taste thing threw her a bit of a googly. Therefore, she wants a Brain MRI scan - just to be sure that nothing else is going on, and confirm, as she believes, the two symptoms are not associated. If it is BPPV she will perform the Epley Manoeuvre - which she says is 95% effective and I can be taught to do myself.
Can't say I am looking forward to the scan - I've had several different MRI's, but not the one with my head in a box! Still, my daughter had it done years ago, so I will be brave and try to keep calm. I'll book it for early next week. Eeek .. I will see what my brain looks like from the inside. Husband says it will show if there really is anything between each ear!

XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Toony Oony I recently had an brain MRI scan as part of a dementia research project I'm involved in. It was much less stressful than I thought it would be. The 'thing' they put round your head had a mirror on it and that meant I could see out past my feet towards the door and the window into the room where the member of staff was. That made a big difference and meant I felt less claustrophobic.

On the subject of nasal steroids - I take a steroid nasal spray every morning. I have it on prescription. I find it really useful. I used to be given steroid tablets (Prednisilone) but these have been stopped as I had been given them over a number of years. They think this prolonged use has contributed to me having osteoporosis.:rolleyes:

Wishing you well.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Slugsta and @Izzy - many thanks for your kind and helpful support.
My daughter has also mentioned that the mirror on the head piece thingy helped. When she had her MRI done she said the worst thing was having to listen to a U2 CD!
I'll let you know how I get on.
XX

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
We are off for our weekend away from tomorrow morning and I doubt I will get in before then, so I will leave plenty of (((hugs))) for everyone and wish you all a good weekend.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve been busy getting nowhere this week, just one of those times where I feel like I’ve worked hard & achieved nothing :rolleyes:

I went to a Russian Ballet at the local theatre, I’ve don't remember seeing a professional show before & if that’s the standard, I don't think I’ll do it again :eek: The first half was ok, if out of synic at times, but the second was just awful. The steps didn’t match the music & I found myself checking my watch rather a lot :( It was nice to dress up & go out though

Yesterday was a bit more exciting :) I chose the car with my brothers fishing trips in mind & it was the first test run. It took a bit of faffing getting everything in, although it’s a bigger car, the boot space seems lower, but we managed & set off

Twenty minutes later, we got to the farm. It must have rained more there than here, but it didn’t look too bad. There was a puddle across the entire width of the track & I hoped it wasn’t too deep, we slipped around a bit, but got past it.

About fifteen feet later, another muddy looking patch. I went right over to the left & started to go over that, but got stuck :eek: Wheel spinning, but no movement. Brother is chatting away :rolleyes:, then looks puzzled. I said “we are stuck in the mud”. I couldn’t get out as my door was right over the puddle, so he hopped out

He’s telling me it’s the back wheel, I’m saying it’s the front & to show him I gentle applied the accelerator... showered him in muddy water :D

Off he went, returning with two planks of wood, unfortunately he had to be pretty close to try wedging them by the tyres. I was back n forth trying to get traction, spraying him, the car & me through the window, but we got free after an interesting ten minutes

I think you had to be there, to see the mud sprays & brother leaping out the way to know just how funny it was. I’m so glad I’m not one of those hysterical women or we’d still be there. Poor brother had mud in his hair, over his face, down his legs :oops:, but his fishing gear is waterproof, so he brushed it off. We were both laughing about it.

I have to pick him up tomorrow, I’ll be going very gingerly around any puddles :p

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think life is starting to feel a little bit more normal. I’m even thinking about looking for a job. Not full time & definately not in the stressful area I was in, but something to fous on & a reason to go out 2 or 3 times a week. I’m only thinking about it, but at least it doesn’t fill me with dread

I ambled around the supermarket looking at things without that stomach churning need to hurry, hurry, hurry, that has been with me for the last 3 years, so that’s progress o_O

Strangle enough, I’ve had the feeling of there being someone there for the last few evenings & last night I even muted the TV I was that convinced I heard mum call me :eek: The TV has been turning itself on again too :confused: Pooch is tucking himself up next to me at every opportunity :oops:

Overall, I’m feeling more settled. I’m still living in limbo, waiting for the house to sell, but I’m more relaxed about everything

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hope you picked brother up alright on Saturday, in both my canoeing and cycling lives I have driven my fair share of muddy tracks. And we've been towed out of a French temporary campsite (ie farmers field) by a tractor in our camper van (as were many others).

Glad to hear you are feeling more settled, I think that a job would give some routine to life, even if it is only short term whilst you decide what you want to do long term, and us humans like routine.

Talking of work, I've just found out I've got a 2 day trip to Cambridge in the week that is normally my busiest of the year. As I work part time I would normally just swap the days, but that week I normally work 5 long days! Hopefully I can manage a few hours on the Monday before mum's taxi service starts.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I will admit I got out the car a few times & poked the ground with a discarded bottle to check the depth of mud, I had to reverse towards “that” puddle at one stage, but made it to collect brother without getting stuck @jugglingmum

Despite brother warning, one of the other fisherman decided he would drive through “that” puddle & not only got stuck, but couldn’t get himself out & had to be pulled out by the farmer. Me thinks he thought “silly” woman just couldn't drive like a man :p

Yes I’m thinking a bit of routine wouId be helpful. The cash wouldn’t hurt either :D I do lose track of what day it is, as one day is much like any other.

Ouch. Cambridge is a bit of a trek for you. Hope it’s not too draining, what with all your taxi services n all :eek:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ouch. Cambridge is a bit of a trek for you. Hope it’s not too draining, what with all your taxi services n all :eek:

Well dau is racing in Abergavenny the weekend before and Ipswich the weekend after this little jaunt on the monday and tuesday, so I don't think he'd appreciate having to do this one as well, especially as she is likely to be overexcited all the way there. There is the possibility I won't get the time off, but I suspect work will be fine with it. I plan to take my bike and ride for a couple of hours and then do a bit of sightseeing.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
One of the few places I sort of know where it is ... Abergavenny ... as dad talked about it. As for Ipswich ... I always thought that was Scotland till I moved a hundred miles & found it was nowhere near Scotland :p:D Geography is not my strong point :p:p

Fingers crossed the over excitable will trump any tantrums :)