Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @rosy18

I’m hoping I’ll be happy travelling too. Pooch just seems to need a window cracked open, mums blanket & the occasional “comfort” stop :D

I find I get quiet aggressive when buying large items. I either say I’ve had someone else tell me it’s ok, or I’ve researched the item & it’s not a great price ... so I might go elsewhere. I really hate being asked if I’ve checked with my husband :eek: I have been know to use an old quote “I don't know how a jet engine works, but I still go on holiday” ... that usually hushes their mouths

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Apologies not needed @jugglingmum , we all get that life gets in the way. I barely even read any posts from June, I just didn’t have the energy. Fingers crossed your teenager angst reduces very soon. I so don’t envy you

No, not that colour, I prefer to blend a bit more :) TBH, I was just looking at good reviews, a bit of clearance for muddy fields & a bit more comfort than the present car (14 year old), this was the most suggested & it seems to fit the bill

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Dinah? (Lewis Carroll)

I might just call her Trouble, system down with the insurers so can’t update to new vehicle. Unless of course I’d like them to cancel this policy & set up a new one .... hmmmm .... that wouId mean I can’t change in January but am stuck with them for another year ... I don't think so

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My first car I called Pooh because I loved Pooh bear, I was 19 when I bought it and a student.

The next car I gave a name to was piglet, but OH didn't really go for naming cars, so it didn't stick.

However our campervan is referred to as Big Red by all of us, we have always meant to get a postman pat style toy dog to sit on the dash.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I was tired & cold all day yesterday, even falling asleep mid afternoon, which I’ve not done for a month or so. No idea why, probably just build up of stresses.

Anyway, I decided to treat myself to a takeaway (I found a £20 note while clearing out the old car). There was a knock at the door & the lady apologised for being late (I’d not noticed), but added she thought someone was breaking into the house over the road. I grabbed the food, dumped it on the table, paid her & pulled on a fleece.

An elderly neighbour was doorstep scammed last year & it sounded like it was his house. No idea what I thought I’d do if faced with burglers, but that didn’t stop me running out to see what I could do.

It was the police breaking in. His gardener hadn’t been able to reach him on the phone, so came round to check & saw him on the floor.

Poor M was a lovely, if talkative chap, well in his 80’s with no close relatives. Mum used to go visit him every few weeks & I wouId phone him occasionally & always went over to talk to him when I saw him putting out his bins or pulling a few twigs off a tree. He was sweet. He’s call me sometimes, just to see how I was after mum passed.

I feel so sad at his passing. I feel like I should have noticed more, but he discouraged visits, so there wasn’t really anything more to be done. It’s just so sad

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
In a way, I’m more upset over M than I am over mum @Slugsta ... Mum was surrounded by love, we sat with her, read while she slept, told jokes, shared stories & held her hand. We were in & out the room, telling her what was happening ... M was alone, he could hear us all, yet we didn’t hear him fall, I don't know yet if it was quick or if he lay on the floor for a while. I realy hope it was quick & he didn’t know.

I’m feeling pretty guilty that I didn’t do more, although I know in my heart I did much more than many others ... but that’s just not cutting it for me.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry to hear about your neighbour. Please remember you can't fix everyone's problems. As you say he discouraged visits. You did what you could in the circumstances.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear about your neighbor, it's so sad when so many don't have the support ( our mums were and are thankfully well looked after ) x

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I know, I know @Slugsta & @jugglingmum .. I did try, he did discourage visits, but I still hate to think of him lying on the floor for days before being found. It’s not right.

I guess I do want to fix the problem, you read about people not being found for days, or weeks, but this was right across the road, someone I spoke to each week, yet he still managed to not be looked after. I kept trying to get him to the doctor, but he said she had told him she only wanted to see him at his 6 monthly check ups

He fell through the cracks :(

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
That’s just it @Margi29, our mums have / had us. He had a nephew a few hundred miles away, who rarely visited. His doctor was “too busy” & although she referred him to the memory clinic, he forgot to go.

I spoke with a nurse, apparently they are trying to set up a system to catch this, but it’s still in the planning stage. I get it’s cash or the lack of it, but there has to be a better way

It’s all very well being independent, but maybe a little nannying is in order.