Can I ... Should I?

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi all

Well last night was eventful :eek:
I took @Sam Luvit to a local Asian restaurant, everything good :)

Phone call off my sister ( who was going at around 9.30 to watch over mum for the night )
My sister : ' is mum with you two?? '
Me: ' no '
My sister : 'mums missing '
Me : ' OMG '

Luckily we were two minutes from mums, drove round to mums , my sister and another lady looking all over for mum, sister has @Sam Luvit pooch on lead ( sister looking after pooch for night) she was really worried, I was in panic mode :eek:
Searching grounds looking for mum, all of us.
We had seen a police car driving down the road as we approached sheltered housing complex, I actually joked to Sam , saying ' probably looking for mum ' ( little did I know :eek: )

Eventually police turn up with mum, she had gone for a walk, we figured around 21.00 !!! ( she was seen at 20.50 by another resident)

Mum gets out of car, not upset, quite happy two lovely young policemen were with her.
Me on other hand, couldn't take a thing in my brain, I think the fear factor had set in.

All I can say is thank goodness for Sam, she calmed me down :)
Sam is far better at describing a situation than me, I'm sure she'll fill in the blanks on here, where I just couldn't function.

Thank you, thank you, thank you @Sam Luvit , just for being there for me.
Next time you're in Yorkshire, we will aim for a more calm break :rolleyes: xxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Omg! How scarey for you all !!

Good that mum was safe.

How lovely you had the head of reason, aka sam, staying with you and she could help :)

Head of reason - trying to think of a better accolade for our dear Sam she would only get embarrassed if I said she is a wonderful capable person, so I won’t say it :D

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Omg! How scarey for you all !!

Good that mum was safe.

How lovely you had the head of reason, aka sam, staying with you and she could help :)

Head of reason - trying to think of a better accolade for our dear Sam she would only get embarrassed if I said she is a wonderful capable person, so I won’t say it :D
Too right @2jays :)

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Thank you 2jays was just beginning to get a little worried, but know how bad the traffic can be on Fridays so hopefully travelling that bit later Sam will get a decent run home.

Had a lovely time whilst Sam was here and of course Pooch was a little bit upset I have to admit that Sam was so insistent on taking him home.
Mums carers and a DN that had come to see Mum all thought he is so cute.
Sam Thank you for taking the time to come and visit Mum and I it was such a lovely change for me. You forgot to take the bottles of CM so will keep them ready for your next visit:D.
It was nice to have real life hugs:)
You shouldn't need rocking to sleep tonight after your journey.

Margi Sam filled me in on what happened with your Mum I think I would have been hysterical what a nightmare for you.:eek: TG she was safe bless her

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
As of 21.49 Sam is still driving!

She stopped for a Pooch break and text me to let me know about the road closure due to rescue of a car and still had 45 mins to go :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m home .....at last ....what a drive ... Madam SatNav said 20 minutes to my uncle, then about 5 1/2 hours home ... hmmmm. I set off about 09.15, had 4 hours of stops & got in the house just after 23.00. I’m a tiny bit tired :rolleyes:

Anyway

Tuesday

I set off a bit later than I wanted to, only myself to blame for that, but I felt very disorganised. I kept remembering things & going back into the house for a bag etc

I was a bit nervous of how Pooch would be. I don't think he’s ever been in a car longer than 20 minutes, but the choice was 4 days of only being with people for the nights, or a long drive & with people all the time. @Margi29’s sister offered to have him Tuesday night, so it was a no brainier ... but I was nervous as I drive off

I stopped after an hour, got him out for a P, then legged it into the service station & off we went again. We stopped again after another 1 1/2 hours & he was fine. The trip was pleasant & uneventful, Pooch settled in his car crate, with his bed & teddy & slept through my “singing”

I parked outside @Margi29’s & he immediately went towards her house :eek:, he’s never been before, but sensed the right door to head to :rolleyes: He made himself right at home

Much needed coffee, lovely shower & we took Pooch to meet @Margi29’s sister. He settled in & we went off to get some food. Nice restaurant & lovely food, it was so nice to just chat. Then we set off to see her Mum. I’ve heard about the flat, but was keen to see it for real. So we are ambling along, I’m getting the sight seeing tour explanation of where everything is.

A police car goes by & @Margi29 says “ oh there they go, off looking for Mum. Go on. You go find her” & we laugh ... her phone rings, she pulls over & answers .... “no, she’s not with me” ... the G force as she sped off was a surprise :eek:

Hand brake turn into a car park & I nearly launch though the windscreen. By this time I’ve figured her mum has gone walk about. She can’t get out the car. Panic is full force & her sister appears. Both look shell shocked ( I’m not surprised, I’d be screaming the place down) :eek:

However. I’m not personally involved, I’ve met her, but she’s not my Mum, so I get her out the car & we start a search. Someone else has appeared & they go back inside to check the flat, while @Margi29 & I search the grounds.

@Margi29 calls her husband & tells him to come over to help with the search. She was a lot calmer than I’d have been ...

We all meet back at the front door & phones are being pulled out to call the police, as a police car pulls into the car park.

L O N G story short ... they have @Margi29’s Mum, who thinks she’s been up at the hospital & these lovely ambulance men have bought her home. Taxi service. She squished their cheeks, told them they were lovely & they can pick her up next time :rolleyes:

Apparently she’d walked about 100 houses down the road, then knocked on a door looking for her home, said, sorry wrong house, the couple watched her & called the police, as they were concerned (bless them). 3 houses later, she was taken inside, while the lovely lady suggested she would help her. The police arrived, got her name, traced her flat address & got her home

An hour later a Herbert report was completed & @Margi29 & I staggered off home to sleep

The police were adorable. One had a grandparent who has Alzheimer’s so he was very aware & the other was just very caring. Nothing seemed to phase them. They agreed with the fantasies, took the details, chatted, let their cheeks be squeezed & thanked everyone for the info

I think I passed out rather than slept that night

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Wednesday

I’m a little apprehensive about finding the Crematorium, but it has to be done. I managed 3 wrong turns, at one stage I got to a T junction after realising I’d taken the wrong exit & the road I was turning into was Effingham Road, I just thought it very appropriately named. However. I found it in the end & parked up.

I thought I had 15 minutes, but seems I’d misread the email & it started at 12.30 not 12.00, so I had time to chill & pull myself together. It also meant I had 45 minutes to wind myself up again :rolleyes:

I’ve been in touch with these people all my life, I’ve visited them solo & with Mum several times in the last few years, but I’ve not seen the children in 20+ years, so I didn't know a soul other than the widow. However, I smiled & introduced myself to a few people. I was thinking, I’ll have to tell Mum when I get home. That bought me up sharpish. But I kept it together

The service was nice. Fortunately very different to mums. So it wasn’t too hard. Seeing the hearse arrive was very difficult, but I survived

A couple very kindly affected to show me the way to the Wake, as it was not at the house as I’d been told last week.

When J (his widow) saw me she was so surprised & just hugged the life out of me. I moved on to let others talk with her & went to find her son, so I guessed at which one he was. He’s very like his dad, so I approached him & introduced myself. Well, he was delighted to see me again & took me to see his sister. I’ve heard all about them through my parents, I guess they’ve heard all about me from their parents. A 75 year friendship of our dads is pretty special

I stayed about an hour then went to make my excuses & leave. J grabbed my arm & took me round her friends saying “this is Sam, she’s H’s daughter, H & G were friends since they were 5”. It was so sweet. We’ve promised to keep in touch :)

Back in the car & off to see @margi & collect Pooch. No drama. Packed the car & off we went

The drive to @rosy18 was easy, Pooch slept. I sang. We got there

I’m slinging bags out the car. Pooch is excited, but nervous of another stop, but quickly settled. I think @ rosy thought he was kinda cute :D We had a delicious meal, talked & talked then I collapsed into another bed. Pooch woke me a few times, but I tickled his tummy & he settled

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thursday

Up to a lovely shower, after a good nights sleep. I was so touched at @rosy18 bringing me up a coffee :), but we went down & chatted a bit while I drank it & Pooch want out to explore the garden. I then hooked a lead on him & took him for a walk. Bless him, he was busting, he refused to “go” in the garden :rolleyes:

Carers arrived & I kidnapped @rosy18 & we went out for breakfast, to a dog friendly cafe :D Pooch was well impressed :) It’s nice to go out in the big bad world :) Back to the house & we chatted, I wasn’t allowed to help, @rosy18 seems to glide through clearing up, with no fuss, while sitting holding hands with her mum & answering phone calls, organising DN’s & just “doing” everything. I wish I’d been as capable :rolleyes:

I walked Pooch to the fish & chip shop later & we sat at a laid table, chatting & eating. Staggering off to bed about midnight. It was a real break. A whole day of not doing anything. No packing. No calls. It was just what the doctor ordered :)

Thank you @rosy18 , you are some lady :D

So, that was me visited out. A mad rush around with @Margi29 , juggling Pooch, playing hide n seek & lots of laughter, followed by calm & chats with @rosy18 ... perfect :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Friday

I’d thought long & hard, I hated to not go see @2jays, but my uncle fell & broke his hip, so I decided I had to see him & my aunt. I couldn’t see a way to fit all 3 into the trip home, so I reluctantly called @2jays & cancelled

The days started well. I left earlier than I’d planned, so I had more time with my uncle if I needed it, less rushed is good. The trip over was 25 minutes, not 45 as I’d thought, so that was even better :)

I arrived to a locked gate, I expected that, but my cousin still hadn’t called with the code. As I’m looking for her number, 2 cars pulled up, with the carers. They were a bit hesitant, but let me in. It was obvious I knew the house as I walked straight to the kitchen, put the kettle on, milk in fridge, then went off to find my uncle.

I lent over to give him a kiss, forgetting what I was wearing & he grinned. Cheeky :rolleyes: I laughed, zipped up my top & left the carers to get him up

We sat chatting, me with my coffee & him with his orange juice, saying he’d take his meds “in a minute”. After an hour, he was getting tired, so I told him to take his meds & I’d leave him in peace. Eye roll from him, then he took the lot :p I couldn’t see my aunt as she’s caught a bug, I daren't take that home, so I’ve left an Order io Service for her (she asked for it).

I climbed back in the car with Pooch & set off to get fuel, then I was heading home. It was 11.30 & Madam SatNav said 5 hours 45 minutes. I blooming wish :eek:

A third of the way home, with the nasty Madam SatNav still saying 3 1/2 hours to go, I saw a turning for a place @2jays had mentioned in her text & pulled off. The M25 was not calling me at all. I was tired. Too tired to keep going. I pulled into a private club car park & phoned her. I was 6 minutes from her when I put the address into Madam, so I pulled out & set off again

The relief at seeing a friendly face & the chance to relax was overwhelming. Between @2jays & 1Jay, they fussed over me, fed me, watered me & I chilled. Thank you. It was perfect.

Much hugging later I climbed back in the car with Pooch & off we went. It rained. There were Road works, variable speed limits & a stranded vehicle, causing the road to be closed while it was recovered.

The M25 was its usual mix of Lane hoppers & undertakers, mixed in with 3 junctions where the queue on the slip road was such that not only were people slowing right down in the slow lane trying to jump the queue, but at times the middle lane was also blocked with some cars trying that one :eek: I saw a few cars on the chevrons trying to push in :(, it was a relief to get off that & head towards the coast

I pulled into the last service station, about an hour from home. Pooch got out & mooched about but wasn’t interested, but I was desperate, so bundled him back in the car & legged it to the ladies

The last part of the trip is 2 way, mostly unlit & windy. Whoever you catch up to ... that’s the speed you do till you get home :rolleyes: So, although I have 2 cars in front of me, I got tailgated for the last 20 miles, lights on full beam ... what a delight

We pulled up on the drive just after 23.00.

To say I was tired wouId be an understatement. Taking out the various stops, I reckon I drove for 10 hours to complete a trip that should have taken 5 :rolleyes:

Pooch & I went to bed & slept & slept & slept :)

Edit to add: 776 miles from Tuesday morning to Friday night

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thanks for updates. When more rested you can visit me and help me catch up on paperwork. Not as exciting as your visit to margi.

We've had some fabulous fish and chips in Blackpool at the Bispham end of the prom. It rained all day. Son and I made a small f&c shared last 2 hours. Dau was racing on prom. Did I say it was wet.

I left home before 6 to get to Nottingham before 8.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You forgot to mention the dog grooming session we needed to do as I didn’t realise how many sticky burrs were in our garden :D

A fabulous visit. I think we could talk for ever, so I guess it was better you went home, but don’t forget, I did offer to wake you at silly o’clock so you could miss the traffic. No need for you to talk as your face said everything :D :D :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @rosy18

I was hoping the last part wouId be easier with it being later, but it just wasn’t to be. I’m glad it was homeward that was bad. The other way round wouId have been too stressful

Thank you for having me :p I hope to have new Poppet when I next visit, so you don’t have to make beds etc. I did feel bad about that. You have more than enough to do without any extra. BTW, I’ve bought some if that salad leaf & grapes, I’m going to attempt to make your salad!! It was delicious :D

Oh blast :eek:, I told you I always forget something. Now I have the perfect excuse to visit again, as I don’t think CM is your tipple :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you, thank you, thank you @Sam Luvit , just for being there for me.
Next time you're in Yorkshire, we will aim for a more calm break :rolleyes: xxx

Don’t be silly, I was just glad I was there & able to help. I also got to see a little eye candy :D

We can aim, but the last time I came up, something else happened ... let’s just aim for hugs n laughter :)