Can I ... Should I?

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Nitram, I'm not sure if you were driving the buggy or the digger! :D

Sam, I'm glad that Friday went well, that your son and his partner looked after you and that you are starting to see the wood through the trees. I'm not surprised you were cross with Pooch, he certainly knows how to make his presence felt! :(

Jm, thank you for representing us all so very well. (((Hugs))) cos I guess your supply is low now.

I would love to meet up with Sam and Toony Oony if that is possible :) I will look at dates when we get back.

I am really looking in to say 'Au revoir'. I am not taking my comp or phone away with me so will look in again when we get home.

((((((((hugs))))))) for all.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We were going to travel around the island on the bus

The main bus route just goes East/West/East - ~20 to 30 minutes frequency except at lunch time! - the fare structure in 2006 was whole trip €1.00, part trip irrespective of number of stops €0.80. There are white mini buses going to the North and East with a very erratic timetable.

Plenty of tavernas all over the island but if you want a celebratory meal try http://www.skiathoswindmill.gr/index.html in Skiathos town. On the summer timetable you should be able to get the last bus back from Skiathos.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi @Margi29

Sorry you had such a bad night, more sorry I wasn’t there for you to rant at :rolleyes:, think I was busy with something :eek:, but it might have been a distraction from one neighbour who wanted to tell me what an amazing friend she was to Mum ... that wouId be the one that Mum wouId scurry away & hide from :eek:

Chocolates & cakes ... the nectar of dementia. Although at the end Mum found everything too sweet. Maybe the obsession with salt is related to taking the sweetness away. I’ll never really know

:D:D Snug trousers .. I packed away mums tight fitted trousers, she was in jogging bottoms as her waist & bum expanded from all that cake & lashings of butter :D

Dad & I always did the packing. Otherwise it wouId have been all shoes, pants & lotions. No swimwear, no towel & no clothes :rolleyes: Wouldn’t trust Mum to remember tickets or insurance, although she wouId probably have packed her passport somewhere “safe” :eek:

When searching for your Sea legs .... do not try to read ... get the wind on your face & look at the horizon. Look across the sea, but not down at it. If you’re standing, adopt the very lady like pose of ankles in line with your hips, knees slightly bent & sway against the waves, so you keep your head (& ears that give you balance) steady. :p
I had to smile just now, and reply.
You brought a memory up of 14 years old on a ferry going across to Belgium on a school trip ( first time I'd ever been any length of time on a boat) ate chips, and then followed by a very large pink ice cream.

I can still visualise the spray of pink that followed, the look of sheer horror on my school friends faces as they ran away as fast as possible :D:eek:

I will try your suggestion and let you know lol :D

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
The main bus route just goes East/West/East - ~20 to 30 minutes frequency except at lunch time! - the fare structure in 2006 was whole trip €1.00, part trip irrespective of number of stops €0.80. There are white mini buses going to the North and East with a very erratic timetable.

Plenty of tavernas all over the island but if you want a celebratory meal try http://www.skiathoswindmill.gr/index.html in Skiathos town. On the summer timetable you should be able to get the last bus back from Skiathos.
We've booked ' the honeymoon table ' at the windmill ( not that we are on honeymoon :) ) our daughter said it's absolutely beautiful in that particular spot, the food is supposed to be lovely.
You pay €30 deposit, then it's deductible off the bill.

We are so looking forward to the break. We've made a pledge between brother sister and me, none of us ring mum while away. Nobody rings the person on holiday with any ' bad news ' about mum ( we've had to take the stance that ' what will be, will be ' )

Will you return one day to skiathos ???

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Will you return one day to skiathos ???
Doubt it, or any other of our holiday haunts, Greek or otherwise.
Not so much fun by yourself, do I go to a place I know or somewhere new?
Also returning to familiar places after a few years can be a bad idea, everything has changed, usually to my opinion detrimentally.

If you want a more Greek meal in Skiathos town try https://restaurantguru.com/Grill-House-Koziakas-Skiathos#gallery Yes that is a street with the occasional moped coming through.

If you want to get a bus to Skiathos early evening they may be all full so take one to Koukounaries, stay on it and carry on back to Skiathos, much cheaper than a taxi. Sorry if daughter has already told you this.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Doubt it, or any other of our holiday haunts, Greek or otherwise.
Not so much fun by yourself, do I go to a place I know or somewhere new?
Also returning to familiar places after a few years can be a bad idea, everything has changed, usually to my opinion detrimentally.

If you want a more Greek meal in Skiathos town try https://restaurantguru.com/Grill-House-Koziakas-Skiathos#gallery Yes that is a street with the occasional moped coming through.

If you want to get a bus to Skiathos early evening they may be all full so take one to Koukounaries, stay on it and carry on back to Skiathos, much cheaper than a taxi. Sorry if daughter has already told you this.
Thank you for information @nitram, we will definitely do the above.

Daughter and husband spent most of their time just in skiathos town or koukounaries where they were staying, I would imagine having a far more boisterous holiday than oh and myself will have :eek:;)

You are so right, sometimes we've gone back to places we loved in the past, only to find changes are not for the better.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I had to smile just now, and reply.
You brought a memory up of 14 years old on a ferry going across to Belgium on a school trip ( first time I'd ever been any length of time on a boat) ate chips, and then followed by a very large pink ice cream.

I can still visualise the spray of pink that followed, the look of sheer horror on my school friends faces as they ran away as fast as possible :D:eek:

I will try your suggestion and let you know lol :D

:eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Margi29

Have you started packing yet???? I hope you don’t phone home, log into TP or even think about anything other than white beaches & blue sea. You deserve this break. Enjoy it :)

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Ooh Margi all sounds very romantic;) Have a wonderful well deserved holiday:cool:
When my husband was alive he would drive me crackers when on holiday when he would ask "why haven't you packed my whatever" He never packed a single thing but then always asked for something I hadn't put in the case:eek:
Bless your Mum and her chocolates, my Mum just whispers all night long with her eyes shut:(.
Sam so looking forward to seeing you:D.
Had to laugh at Pooch he wasn't getting enough attention! He would have sensed your feelings and got upset himself.
Your folks would have been so proud of you and your brother. I like the thoughts of them both dancing whilst having a G and T.
Big ((((hugs for everyone)))) xx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I used to do a list & print it off for Mum, then ask her for the extras she wanted @rosy18, I then kept the list & just adapted it depending on where & how long for. I had to laugh at her attempts at packing. Lid wouldn’t close, still half her stuff on the bed ... I’d empty & repack, with space for more :rolleyes: No wonder dad never let her pack :eek:

I wasn’t laughing at Pooch :mad: I understood later & he’s been absolutely fine since, thankfully :rolleyes:

Dad secretly took dancing lessons before they married, as he had 2 left feet, but Mum loved to dance, he learnt jive & they were pretty amazing at it. It was the only dance he could do, but he jived “off beat” so it looked even better :D

It’s going to be so good to see you & @Margi29 , I can’t wait :) Pooch is getting a holiday too. I just hope he doesn’t get car sick :eek:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Ooh Margi all sounds very romantic;) Have a wonderful well deserved holiday:cool:
When my husband was alive he would drive me crackers when on holiday when he would ask "why haven't you packed my whatever" He never packed a single thing but then always asked for something I hadn't put in the case:eek:
Bless your Mum and her chocolates, my Mum just whispers all night long with her eyes shut:(.
Sam so looking forward to seeing you:D.
Had to laugh at Pooch he wasn't getting enough attention! He would have sensed your feelings and got upset himself.
Your folks would have been so proud of you and your brother. I like the thoughts of them both dancing whilst having a G and T.
Big ((((hugs for everyone)))) xx
It's always ' the shirt that's hard to iron hid at bottom of ironing pile ' oh wanted for holiday :D

Each holiday, he still asks ' where's that shirt I like ?? '

Same answer each year ' oops, sorry I forgot it ' :oops: :D

After so many years of us been together, you'd think he would know not to even ask anymore :rolleyes:

I seriously think the said shirt needs to ' accidentally end up in charity bag '

Enjoy your time with @Sam Luvit , I'm sure you two will raise a glass or two xx

I am really looking forward to the break x

Last edited:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Conversation with mum :)

Me : how many children have you got ??
Mum : three ( correct )
Mum : my youngest daughter ( me ) her husband is called Ceril :D:eek:

Never ever has my husband been called Ceril, but we've laughed a lot within the family, and now much for our amusement he is now called Ceril ( aka M )

Dementia sometimes makes me cry, but there are the rare moments it makes me cry with laughter.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I took full advantage of the family helping at the weekend. Pulled out lots of boxes & bags, moved furniture around etc, then left it all accessible so I could sort it today. The house looked like a bomb site, but I figured I could slowly work through it. All by myself. No interruptions

Best laid plans & all that ....

I started in the kitchen, washed up, put everything away, took out the rubbish. Then sorted through the washing & folded it up ready to take upstairs & put away.

I thought I heard a noise, so came back down to hear ...”oh there is someone here” .. well yes there is ..

The Estate Agent was here, complete with a couple who wanted to view the house :eek: I tried saying it was a total mess, but she was said she’d thought it was ok to come as they have the key :rolleyes: I’m guessing they couldn’t “see” past the mess :eek:

I’ll be away for a couple of days, so I’ve been clearing all day, didn’t stop till after 7, I ache. I’m tired. I’ve a 5 hour drive in the morning. I’ll start again on Friday :p

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Lol @Margi29 I used to tell tut husband if he wanted it, he had to find, iron & fold it :rolleyes: Mum just ironed everything, so no problem there :p

Enjoy your dementia free break. You deserve it. You do need to feed me & pack first though :rolleyes:

:D:D Say “Hi” to Ceril for me :p I might just call him that tomorrow :eek: I’m really looking forward to seeing you all, hope I get to see your lovely Mum too. So pleased your sibling can have Pooch for the night. I’ll be able to relax & not have to rush back for dog sitters etc

It means @rosy & her Mum can meet him too. :) Hope he is well behaved. He usually is, but ... well ... you always worry don’t you? o_O

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Lol @Margi29 I used to tell tut husband if he wanted it, he had to find, iron & fold it :rolleyes: Mum just ironed everything, so no problem there :p

Enjoy your dementia free break. You deserve it. You do need to feed me & pack first though :rolleyes:

:D:D Say “Hi” to Ceril for me :p I might just call him that tomorrow :eek: I’m really looking forward to seeing you all, hope I get to see your lovely Mum too. So pleased your sibling can have Pooch for the night. I’ll be able to relax & not have to rush back for dog sitters etc

It means @rosy & her Mum can meet him too. :) Hope he is well behaved. He usually is, but ... well ... you always worry don’t you? o_O
See you tomorrow and drive carefully x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
We have a packing list just for the dog:

basket, dog towels (as you can imagine we take her for walks where she gets muddy), lead (often forgotten as she is walked off the lead at home), bowls, food (again sometimes forgotten so packed first now) and dog treats, and we have been known to drive off without the dog!!

Hope you enjoy your trip, even if the reason for it is sad.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
This might not sit well with some, @jugglingmum, but I’m treating everything, as a positive now. Yes I’m doing a 500 mile round trip, to attend a funeral & maybe speak to his widow for 15 or 20 minutes, but, she will know I came & they were massive in my life. Dad had a 75 year, very much in touch, friendship with him. I need to go

The positive ... I can spend an evening with @Margi29 & a bit longer with @rosy18, so I get to see 2 people I class as friends, unexpectedly, which makes it even better

If I can, I’d very much like to “stop off” with @2jays (sorry, didn’t tell you that yet :rolleyes:) & see 1Jay too. Even better :D

While I wouId just love to make other stops, I do have to get back here to clear the house ... but a few positives are in :)