Can i set up on-line banking for mum without POA?

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Hi all,
Back down seeing mum in Hereford from Scotland and all seems relatively OK apart from a few letters with ' Ask Elizabeth' ( that's me ) on them. One is for an annoying lawn care company for 140 pounds - it's probably legit, as mum instructed these strange people to 'care ' for her lawn - but I need to see what's going on. Mum pays a direct debit to them for a small monthly amount but they've obviously done some other 'work' to her lawn ( it looks horrific) for an additional cost.

Anyway, my question is, can I set up online banking on my computer with mums permission so I can see what's going on financially for her? We have POA papers but haven't been to her solicitor yet for the next stage as she fell and broke her ankle in Jan so unable to get there :( there is no car here and bus stops miles from solicitor.

Sorry to ramble - am I able to get the banking for her or is that a totally illegal thing to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice xxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Your Mum would be breaking her agreement with the bank.
Best thing is to get the POA up and running.
In the meantime you could enquire about a third party mandate, this may not allow internet access.

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Thanks Nitram I will go to her bank tomorrow and ask for third party form. I have bought a little car to leave at mums but came by train yesterday as such a long drive. A car will make a difference as she lives in country - then I can get her out and about much more easily. She got so cross when I ordered a taxi last time to visit her solicitor :(

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If your Mum still has capacity, I don't see why she can't give you permission to help her with her financial affairs via online banking. However, it's always better to get the POA registered to avoid any accusations. You do not need a solicitor though to do the application, and I'm not sure what you mean by "the next stage". Once the forms are filled in and. signed, you simply need to send them to the OPG for registration.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If your Mum still has capacity, I don't see why she can't give you permission to help her with her financial affairs via online banking. However, it's always better to get the POA registered to avoid any accusations. You do not need a solicitor though to do the application, and I'm not sure what you mean by "the next stage". Once the forms are filled in and. signed, you simply need to send them to the OPG for registration.
We got our POAs sorted out with a solicitor (Im aware we could in theory have done it DIY, but it was the only way I could get OH to do it) and it was done in two steps - first was an appointment to tell the solicitor what you wanted, then the solicitor sent the POA in draft form and if we were OK with that then we made another appointment to sign it in front of witnesses, then once it was all signed it got sent to be registered.

Im guessing that @Buskitten and her mum need to go back to sign it.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I was going to say the same as Canary - when the LPA is done by the solicitor, the witnessing is often set up in his office, hence the second appointment.

I had similar thoughts about setting up online access before I started using the LPA, but didn't do it. You need to ensure you do everything by the book.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hi everyone, a quick question re EPA /LPA!
This is done and registered with OPG.
However, when I mentioned this to DWP and other agencies I was told has to be certified?????
Not sure what that is! I believed once in place that was it!!advice please and thanks in advance!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
However, when I mentioned this to DWP and other agencies I was told has to be certified?????
Not sure what that is! I believed once in place that was it!!advice please and thanks in advance!
Copies you send them need to be certified as being a true copy of the original.

wilson1973

Apr 29, 2016

I had to go back to the solicitors and pay them to sign it on each page that cost me £25,when you send them off to banks etc,send a cover letter explaining that the copy is yours and you need it to be returned after they have copied/scanned it,I still had one company that didn't return but complained and they found it and then it was returned.
I asked them to re staple it too,as in an office setting they have large staplers to do this,as they often remove staples to scan/copy

I believe if the donor still has mental capacity they can certify the lpa themselves,to save money going to the solicitor

Last edited:

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Lady M Do you have the original LPA? Never let that out of your hands.
My mother's solicitor kept the original LPA and just sent me as many certified copies as I asked for. A solicitor will certify a copy by stamping/signing every page. I think mine cost £25 per copy. I got several, because if you send them in the post you don't always get them back - I've had three not returned to me (the DWP did return my copy promptly, but I wouldn't depend on it).

Bod

Aug 30, 2013

For DWP Take the original to a Job Centre, They will photocopy and stamp copies to be sent off to Government depts. at no cost.
Banking, take the original into a branch, they will copy and stamp, and often send the copy to the central office for you.
In all cases, be absolutely certain that all the original pages are returned to you, before you leave.

Bod

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Thank you for the valuable advice - I'm going to ask her at her bank tomorrow as best to just ask them!

Yes, I do mean the next stage of signing the documents and the solicitor sends them off and mum pays him loads of money - she wanted it done 'properly'.

She does still have capacity although her memory is bad; no one looking on would see anything wrong but I bet that's the case with a lot of our loved ones :(

Thanks again for your help, as always.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's a good thing you are getting all that done now, it will save a lot of trouble later. Are you getting the Health & Welfare LPA also (don't know what it's called in the UK)? I think it's best to do so.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The Banjoman ended up in hospital when it was time to sign his LPAs and as we had no idea how long he would be in there and his mental capacity was deteriorating his Solicitor arranged for a colleague from another branch local to the hospital to take them in for him to sign. Of course on that very day he was discharged from hospital before the agreed time for signing! Sod’s Law! But maybe your Mum’s Solicitor could arrange for her to sign at the hospital? Then you know it has been completed.
I too keep a couple of Certified copies of the LPA’s at home to post here there and everywhere while the originals reside with the Solicitor.

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
Ah! I didn't think to ask if the solicitor would come to see mum at home, great idea!