Can I sell my dads house to pay for his care

Billy27

Feb 20, 2021
My father in currently in a Residential care home , he has dementia and will not be returning home.
my question is this, can I sell his house to pay for his care?
I do not have power of attorney.
Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Billy27 and welcome to DTP

The short answer to your question is - no, you must have either POA or Court of Protection deputyship

Does your father still have the capacity to understand about POA and be able to sign the form? If so, get it done PDQ before it is lost. If not, then Im afraid that you will have to apply to the court of protection for deputyship, which is more expensive and takes longer.
But you have to have either one or the other.

Billy27

Feb 20, 2021
Thank you for your reply,
I could probably convince dad about POA .
do I need a solicitor to agree to it or can I do this without a solicitor ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Billy27
a warm welcome to DTP

have a look at these

should you need to apply to be your dad's Deputy remember to add the sale of the property to the application ... if you don't you will have to make a separate application

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I could probably convince dad about POA .
do I need a solicitor to agree to it or can I do this without a solicitor ?
You dont need a solicitor. You can download the forms and do it yourself, but you do need someone who has known him for two years to witness his signature. I would also speak to your dads care home manager about how you can organise this during visiting restrictions.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
One further tip !
I would not tell him that I wanted the POA to sell his house.
I would explain it that I needed it to pay bills, or if they are all on direct debit, I would say if an emergency plumber needs to be called at present I wasn’t able to pay them!
It is not about deceit, it’s simply that sometimes the default answer can be NO ! If you can’t get those forms signed your life will be much more difficult in the future.

If you get a taste for filling in forms and are not claiming attendance allowance already, he still qualifies to receive it if self funding, and it will make the money go a little further.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That is a good point @Weasell . I never told mum that I had sold her house. I had to go for CoP deputyship, but even so you have to inform them that you are doing this. I just told mum it was so that I could legally pay all her bills and look after her money for her.

Billy27

Feb 20, 2021
One further tip !
I would not tell him that I wanted the POA to sell his house.
I would explain it that I needed it to pay bills, or if they are all on direct debit, I would say if an emergency plumber needs to be called at present I wasn’t able to pay them!
It is not about deceit, it’s simply that sometimes the default answer can be NO ! If you can’t get those forms signed your life will be much more difficult in the future.

If you get a taste for filling in forms and are not claiming attendance allowance already, he still qualifies to receive it if self funding, and it will make the money go a little further.
Thank you for the information.

Andy69

Feb 21, 2021
Guildford
My father in currently in a Residential care home , he has dementia and will not be returning home.
my question is this, can I sell his house to pay for his care?
I do not have power of attorney.
Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there.
Can he sign over power of attorney.If not you will have a nightmare getting this sorted and you will need to go to court to sort this.?

Billy27

Feb 20, 2021
Hi there.
Can he sign over power of attorney.If not you will have a nightmare getting this sorted and you will need to go to court to sort this.?
He has been diagnosed with early onset dementia, can I still get power of attorney to avoid a headache in the future?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Billy27
if your father has capacity to grasp what the LPA is, to state who he wants as his Attorneys and to agree to and sign the documents, then yes you can help him arrange LPAs
a diagnosis doesn't of itself mean that anyone is necessarily considered to no longer have capacity to manage their own affairs

if he refuses, that's awkward, but up to him

if he no longer has capacity for this, you may apply to become his Deputy

a problem you face right now is that your father is in residential care which makes really tricky the organising of all those involved

do have a read through the info on links given previously
and have a look at some of this on the main AS site