Can I let off steam

looby97

Mar 19, 2005
Liverpool
At last a place where i can let off steam to people in similar circumstances. My father is 64 and was diagnosed with dementia 2 years ago. He has deteriorated rapidly but with the dedicated care of my Mum and help from myself and my sister, he is now extremely settled and very happy.

Recently my father fell whilst in the bath and was unable to tell mum where he hurt. At the time he was suffering from a heavy cold and cough.

To cut a very long story short my Dad collapsed whilst at a support group with Mum. This was due to a chest infection and pain from the fall (we later found out it was a broken rib!). With the help of two very good friends mum got him to the local A & E.. dad was admitted overnight for observation. Mum was told she could not stay with him despite her telling the staff she was not happy for him to be left overnight in a very insecure ward. The doctor told her there was no facility for her to stay and she should leave.

A fellow patient cared for Dad and made sure he visited the toilet and ate on time (Dad is also diabetic). Dad was only an inpatien for one night and one day but her was treated abominably by the staff. One nurse shouted at him for chewing on a thermometer and another tried to force and oxygen mask on him whilst he was coughing. My Mum had told this nurse on several occasions that Dad needed persuasion and not shouting.

A Doctor said he would discharge Dad if he could walk the length of the ward without using oxygen. The doctor took Dad the length of the ward and then stopped to talk to a nurse - guess what? Dad wandered out of the ward and down the corridor. If we had not been there he would have been away!

We have written a formal complaint about this treatment to the Chief Exec at the hospital.

I had to moan about it somwhere. Has anyone else had similar happen to them. Please let me know as I feel I've got a long hard fight against this hospital whose staff seemed to think we were in the wrong for wanting proper care for our Dad

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi, sorry to hear about your experience. I used this forum myself for exactly the same reason, letting off steam about hospitals. :mad: See thread 'From Hospital to Home'. I believe there are many people who have had similar experiences and it is good to take comfort from that but I know this doesn't take away your own frustration.

I hope your Dad's rib soon mends. Best wishes.

looby97

Mar 19, 2005
Liverpool
Thanx for your support Have just read your thread and it's good to know that we are not alone. My Mum was so frustrated by the time Dad was discharged that she would gladly have hit the next person who said "he's a bit confused isn't he".

I'll let you know the results of my complaint to them - just wouldn't like anyone else to go through what we did in future :)

Shakey1961a

Nov 7, 2004
Southport
And to give you a lot of warning... IF you father has to go into a home, choose very carefully. I will send you a private message about what happened to me.

You have my full support in your complaint against the hospital!!!!