• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Can I get funded 24hr care for someone with dementia?


Registered User
Jan 20, 2016
Can funded care be provided in someone's own home if they have dementia. My grandad has been in 3 nursing homes now and they have all said he is too challenging and can not cope with him. Can we bring him home and get a 24hr carer which will be part funded. He is already contributing all of his pension every month towards his own care.


Registered User
Aug 30, 2013
Short answer. Very unlikely.
I feel it will be a case of getting him reassessed, to find a Home that can cope with him.
There are Homes that cope with the challanges, its just a case of finding them, he may have to move quite a way.
His current home should be able to put you in touch with services that can help.


PS Welcome.


Registered User
Jan 20, 2011
If your grandad is too challenging for a residential home with a team of staff on duty 24/7 he would still need a skilled team of carers anywhere else. One carer would be on duty from 8am - 8pm (for example) maximum, with probably a 3-hour break. Then you've got the nights to cover, so really you would need at least 2 carers 24/7. Also they each need their own private bedroom and a bathroom not shared with the client, with the ability to have 8 hours regular undisturbed sleep.

In addition, I would add that, although there may be some very rich people who can pay for a team of live-in carers, this is actually very expensive. In a NH all the clients are sharing the total care costs between them.

In a home environment, how would you keep both him and the carers safe? They can't restrain him if he wants to go out of the front door. If he is aggressive then the carer would probably decide to leave and very soon the agency would advise that he is not a suitable client for live-in care.

Carers must feel safe. I have talked to some of my mum's carers who have worked for aggressive clients. If you have to sleep with a chair jammed against your bedroom door, or have been attacked, or just sworn and shouted at, you don't choose to return to that client. Most live-in carers are women, and I can't think of many women who would choose to look after a male client with challenging behaviour.

Forgive me, but I don't think your plan is in your grandad's best interests. He needs the right secure nursing environment. From what you say, he is now too ill to live at home.
Last edited:


Registered User
Nov 29, 2015
If his behaviour is so challenging that 3 nursing homes cannot cope, then you should consider applying to the NHS for CHC. I'm surprised none of the nursing homes suggested this. If he qualifies, there is a system where they can fund care at home but it wouldnt be totally 24 hour, but also they may find a care home that could cope with him which may be out of your price range at present, but which they would fund fully. I think it is well worth getting an assessment for this, as I'm sure SS would not fund so much careat home

Here is the link.