Can i get a solicitor to step down from being executor of a will?

Savanna

Jan 9, 2020
My mum recently died from alzheimers & at some stage it appears she changed her will & placed her solicitor as her executor saying (we assume), she didn't trust us although we had both been given full living POA over her bank accounts. She went through the normal phases of thinking people were taking her things or were going to etc.
Can we get the solicitor to step down? There's only her bank accounts, no property etc as she was in care & had to fund herself. It's going to be a big chunk out of what's left in the kitty & there's really nothing that needs to be done.
Where do we stand?
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can ask the solicitor to renounce and they will probably refuse, why should they turn down a pay cheque?

You do not have an argument that they are unsuitable to act.
You have to accept your mum's choice.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
I suspect the only way you get it changed is on the basis that she wasn't fit to make that kind of decision at the time it was made. even if you can do that it could be quite time consuming, stressful and I imagine expensive. You may be better off in the long run just letting things take their course. If you really feel you want to fight it you could try one of these people who give an hour free advice before making any decision.

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
My aunt appointed her solicitor as executor as "she didn't want to be any trouble." As she lived 300 miles away, we wanted to use our own solicitor for the probate. Her solicitor renounced his executorship at our request, but also made a charge for this, much to the disgust of our own solicitor. This was about £100, several years ago.