Can I add relative with dementia as name on my current account?

SeanMacG

Nov 13, 2020
Hi,

To cut a long story short - can I add my uncle as a name on one of my current accounts without him being present or having his ID? I bank with NatWest.

Long story:

My uncle (U1) has had dementia for many years and is being very well looked after in a care home. His brother (U2) was looking after his affairs but he passed away some time ago. The financial arrangements for U1 were via U2’s bank account. I don’t know what happened to U1’s bank account but he has never had any money (even longer story ?). With U2 having passed I have obtained a C of P order and am trying to rearrange U1’s affairs so that my cousins can close U2’s bank account. I seem to be stuck. I had hoped to open a bank account in U1’s name but I can’t find his passport and he wasn’t a driver so I have no id. I set up an additional current account that I intended to ring fence for this but have been told payments can’t be made into the account unless U1 is named on the account which means he would need to come to the bank with me and we run into the id problem again. I don’t think he would be able for a trip to a bank even if we had id.

I’m really stumped, any help would be very much appreciated!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome @SeanMacG In answer to your, question, no, you can't add your uncle to one of your current accounts. An account will need to be opened in his name but he will not need to attend the bank in person. Different banks have different processes but Nat West will require you to bring the original deputyship court order with you plus 2 forms of ID - this is in respect of you, not your uncle. Ring the branch to explain that you wish to open an account as a Deputy and request an appointment. The details are on the Nat West website:

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/S...d-Person-how-can-I-register-this-with-you.htm

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/life-moments/caring-for-vulnerable-relatives.html

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Whether a joint account with you or a sole account in his name the required proof of ID is the same.

Presumably you have letters from DWP addressed to him.
Ask if the bank would accept a £15
https://www.citizencard.com/what-is-a-citizencard as identity proof.

EDIT
Having now seen and read @Louise7 ' post I see that proof of your ID and copy of court order should suffice

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@SeanMacG The second link on my post provides details of the 2 forms of ID that Nat West will accept in respect of a Deputy/Attorney (scroll down towards bottom of page) There is no mention of needing to provide ID for the person who is subject to the deputyship but when you call to make the appointment check what you will need to bring with you. As stated in the first link, the bank will then send your paperwork to the court of protection and will let you know if the court requires any further information.