Can he still drive?

Nasher

Feb 27, 2019
My father in law has Alzheimer’s and was told he had to take an advanced mobility driving test at the the Watford test centre on Wednesday. He was told by the examiner that he had failed his test. He went mad and said there’s nothing wrong with my driving! But they explained to him that it was his Alzheimer’s that had caused him to fail the test. When I spoke to my mother-in-law this morning to see if I could get them any shopping, she said there was no need as my father in law had been told that he was still allowed to drive until he received a letter from the DVLA to say he could not drive anymore. I was shocked! Surely that can’t be right. If he failed the test then surely that should mean he had to stop driving THERE AND THEN! Can anyone tell me if that is true? Thanks very much. Penny

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

If you click on the 2nd line of the following link you can read and/or print the Society Factsheet about this issue. Unfortunately driving is always a thorny issue but the licence had to be returned and insurers informed in the circumstances you outline. Lives and property of your FiL and others have to be safeguarded. Some families have had to dispose of vehicles to stop their loved one with dementia driving. In the case of my wife I just put my foot down when she was diagnosed. I ignored her protests and eventually she settled. Dementia is a progressive condition so things like driving won't get better.
Driving and dementia (439)
PDF printable version

Beyond that, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I have a new medical condition that I have
told the DVLA about on my recent application. Can I drive?

As soon as the DVLA receives your correct and complete application for a new licence and as long as you meet all the Section 88 criteria, you may drive. It is important that you are satisfied that the medical condition you have declared on your application does not stop you from driving.
If you are unsure, check with your doctor before you make a decision. You can also look up your condition in the ‘Assessing fitness to drive’ guide, which you can find at www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive
to see whether you meet the medical standards for driving. As this guide is intended for healthcare professionals, it can be complicated. Your doctor should be able to help you if necessary.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have a new medical condition that I have
told the DVLA about on my recent application. Can I drive?

As soon as the DVLA receives your correct and complete application for a new licence and as long as you meet all the Section 88 criteria, you may drive. It is important that you are satisfied that the medical condition you have declared on your application does not stop you from driving.
If you are unsure, check with your doctor before you make a decision. You can also look up your condition in the ‘Assessing fitness to drive’ guide, which you can find at www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive
to see whether you meet the medical standards for driving. As this guide is intended for healthcare professionals, it can be complicated. Your doctor should be able to help you if necessary.
This person has failed a test so I think the circumstances are different.

Dementia in itself does not mean that you cannot drive but failing the test is a different matter.

Last edited:

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Nasher, your father in law should not be driving as soon as the DVLA have been notified that he failed the test (which would be on the day of the test), his insurance will be invalid. Unfortunately he may well continue to drive even when the notification comes through from the DVLA, it is a common issue. As I have posted on here many times I feel very strongly about it as an elderly driver that has his licence revoked by the Police (and continued to drive) killed a young teenage girl when he got confused at the road lay out and mounted the pavement - that case led to the abolition of the waiting for the notification from the DVLA, as he basically carried on driving after being told two weeks earlier by the Police to desist and he hadn't received the official notification from the DVLA. However, the likelihood is he would have carried on driving anyway. There needs to be an intervention to prevent the person from driving, it's life threatening for passengers and other drivers and pedestrians. Unfortunately it looks as though it will fall on your MIL to manage the situation. I understand your anxiety over this, there is only so much you can do from a distance. All the best.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I wouldn’t put to much emphasis on failing the Driving assessment at first attempt probably 75% of drivers would fail

According to stats from the DVSA, just 47% of drivers passed their test on the first attempt, meaning you're more likely to fail the first time round. So, don't get too disheartened if you have to have more than one attempt at passing.
3 Oct 2019

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, @Countryboy , he is quite at liberty to take another test if he wishes, but having failed the test, he mustnt drive until he has passed the test.

Your stats from the DVLA are referring to new drivers, not people with dementia.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Yes, @Countryboy , he is quite at liberty to take another test if he wishes, but having failed the test, he mustnt drive until he has passed the test.

Your stats from the DVLA are referring to new drivers, not people with dementia.

Ok I agree but it still a 53% failure rate my take on the Driving was : If 53% young drivers fail a Driving assessment having studied the new road signs and rules.

Someone who passed their test 60 years ago in all probability will also fail weather they have dementia or not Ok may be a little more difficult for the person with dementia but does not necessarily make them a worse Driver bearing they have 60 years of experience although theory test may cause them the biggest challenge