Can he be getting better?

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Or, is it possible that he might not get worse?

I know i am asking to be depressed, but I'd rather know other people's depressing experiences than allow myself to get excited, or hope too much...

Thing is, Dad is better now than he was a year ago.

Reasons for my question:
1. He for some reason is able to watch television again, and seems to be able to see the activity on it, although I can't be sure if he understands what he is seeing completely...This might seem normal to many, but Dad stopped watching TV about 2-3yrs ago, and it appeared to be that he could no longer 'see' images on tv, or they no longer had any relevance to him, he was a bit like a cat or dog, in that it didn't matter how much I pointed to the tv screen he didn't react to anything on it. Now he does, and appears to enjoy watching it???

2. His incontinence has improved, he even goes to the toilet sometimes now when sat on the toilet whereas before he had no control at all, and hasn't again for 2-3yrs??

3. His ability to walk has improved, a year ago he was leaning way to one side, and then during the year he was getting really slow...now he can walk for an hour non-stop and probably more??

4. He is interacting with people again...can't speak words, but definetly is 'talking' to everyone??? He seemed to stop a lot of that about 6 months ago.

5. He has started trying to sit down by himself again, he seemed to 'forget' how to do that over a year ago??

I know I've regularly seen him improve for a while and then go terribly downhill again...but its been about 3months now of no obvious losses in abilities and actual improvements in a lot of areas??

Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't feel bad if u have to tell me u have, and that eventually everything went to **** again. I'd rather know now, than not be prepared for it. Similarly if you have never seen such a prolonged period of no further deterioration (bear in mind it may not seem long to many who are in early stages, but for 2 years Dad went down hill again and again every month or two...now he's been stable and even improved over the last 12 months), please let me know...especially those of you who's loved ones are beyond Dad's stage.

Would appreciate feedback.

P.S. His medication has changed a little in the last year and perhaps this is the reason behind it all....but the times when it has changed don't seem to match the changes in his behaviours.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Nat,
Mum had a slight improvement last year. She had been very unsteady on her feet, then one day in Day Care fell out of a chair 3 times, and bumped her face and head. A week later she was far more steady on her feet, this lasted a few months, but then had a day being violently sick, and has never been the same since. We felt that the falls in some way had improved things, so considered using a hammer!!!(No angry responses please, I'm joking!)
My advice- just enjoy what you have, don't worry about the long term implications. Be thankful dad seems better - does it make him seem happier?
Love Amy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Nat, what a roller coaster of emotions you must be going through.

Have no experience of this, but am inclined to agree with Amy, so would just say
"enjoy the time whilst you can".

Thinking of you, love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just like to say how pleased to hear about your dad improvement, am wondering what medication is he on? That he was not taking before.

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Its not the medicine

Thats the thing Margarita, he isn't on any new medicine...as I've said before he's been taken off almost all of them in the past year...makes you start to wonder if the drugs are doing more harm than good at times!?

He remains on epilem but only small dosage (to control fitting and an anti-psychotic drug - rispadel (thats what its called here in australia)..to keep his moods steady...otherwise panadol (generic over the counter pain killer) is given to him when he seems he might be in pain (he can't tell us when he is).

daizee

Mar 31, 2006
Broken Hill, Australia
Can He Be Getting Better

Hi Nat,I'm a fellow ozzie and reading your thread was fantastic, whether your Dad is getting better long term or not doesn't matter , he's a bit better now, today and isn't that how we live with AD, day by day?I would give anything if I could write the same about my husband. Enjoy every second of it you lucky ******!.........................Cheers Daizee

janices666

Jun 23, 2006
Kent
jc141265 said:
Or, is it possible that he might not get worse?

I know i am asking to be depressed, but I'd rather know other people's depressing experiences than allow myself to get excited, or hope too much...

Thing is, Dad is better now than he was a year ago.

Reasons for my question:
1. He for some reason is able to watch television again, and seems to be able to see the activity on it, although I can't be sure if he understands what he is seeing completely...This might seem normal to many, but Dad stopped watching TV about 2-3yrs ago, and it appeared to be that he could no longer 'see' images on tv, or they no longer had any relevance to him, he was a bit like a cat or dog, in that it didn't matter how much I pointed to the tv screen he didn't react to anything on it. Now he does, and appears to enjoy watching it???

2. His incontinence has improved, he even goes to the toilet sometimes now when sat on the toilet whereas before he had no control at all, and hasn't again for 2-3yrs??

3. His ability to walk has improved, a year ago he was leaning way to one side, and then during the year he was getting really slow...now he can walk for an hour non-stop and probably more??

4. He is interacting with people again...can't speak words, but definetly is 'talking' to everyone??? He seemed to stop a lot of that about 6 months ago.

5. He has started trying to sit down by himself again, he seemed to 'forget' how to do that over a year ago??

I know I've regularly seen him improve for a while and then go terribly downhill again...but its been about 3months now of no obvious losses in abilities and actual improvements in a lot of areas??

Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't feel bad if u have to tell me u have, and that eventually everything went to **** again. I'd rather know now, than not be prepared for it. Similarly if you have never seen such a prolonged period of no further deterioration (bear in mind it may not seem long to many who are in early stages, but for 2 years Dad went down hill again and again every month or two...now he's been stable and even improved over the last 12 months), please let me know...especially those of you who's loved ones are beyond Dad's stage.

Would appreciate feedback.

P.S. His medication has changed a little in the last year and perhaps this is the reason behind it all....but the times when it has changed don't seem to match the changes in his behaviours.
Hiya Nat.
So pleased to hear about the improvement inyour dad, enjoy it.
Janice:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar