Can dementia go like this?

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Mom has moderate dementia and these last few weeks have been hard, but to day I could not believe how good her memory was. It was as if she had come back to me, We had a good conversation. She could remember names and places and hardly made any mistakes with words. She could retell her day fairly well and even what she ate for supper. She feels she is better. and was not so low. Is she improving? Or is this a stage and does it go up and down like this. what should I expect. Does this lgood time ast and for how long ? It makes me so happy. ;) Sooty

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Sooty

So glad you've had such a good day with your Mom. Treasure it, and take it out to look at when times are tough.

I don't want to spoil your day, but it's unlikely that there will be any long-term improvement. Dementia doesn't work like that.

But we all get days like that, when we get precious glimpses of our loved ones as they once were.

How long do they last? How long is a piece of string! It can be five minutes, a day, a week........... sometimes it's just a lovely smile that wrenches the heart-strings.

Enjoy the good times, Sooty. They're what make it all worth while.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sooty,

As Hazel said, enjoy the good days when your mum has them. If they go, it doesn`t mean they won`t come back again.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Something that never ceases to amaze me is that my mum, who is now pretty far down the road with AD just automatically remembers the words to songs very easily. She won't recall what she had for lunch or who visited or what our last piece of converstion was, two minutes earlier, but if I sing to her, more often than not she will join in with the songs and recall the words too. A favourite of hers is that song called 'Trees', as well as hymns and other standards from the thirties and forties. I can remember a day in her last home but one where there was a musical entertainment on and she seemed to just lift out of her dementia and become a cheery old lady again.
She did also have very lucid days, and even now I sometimes think she is more hindered in her conversation by deafness and a refusal to use a hearing aid, than by her dementia.
I think, if you have the stamina , that you should try to help stimulate the reminiscence through music and pictures and gentle conversation. You'll be amazed what happens, but remember that your mom is still likely to be forgetful and that the process does not, as Hazel says, go into reverse gear. Also she may get tired easily ( as may you) so take things in short bursts.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Sooty

If your Mother has Vascular Dementia then you will get days like that

but just as quickly there will be more days when she has no clue and may even claim she does not know who you are

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Hi Sooty. I think you will have days that are good. I saw Deborah's reply that her mum can remember words to songs. I did read that music / songs are "stored" in a different area of the brain that is not affected so bad and that's why recall is so good. My wife loves her music.
cris

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
hi

yes, this seems to happen with my mum too although its not usually a whole day. the other day she held a perfectly sensible conversation, asked questions, seemed to understand the replies, didnt forget anything she wanted to say. My son and i were amazed and its times like this which make me question whether a nursing home is the right place for her.
But shortly after she dissolved into confusion asking where she had "been", and totally muddling up time and place thinking she had just come home from work.
I suppose the lucid times will get less and less. :(

Noone

Mar 12, 2007
Surrey
Same here, we get moments of lucidity and its pure joy to realise Im experiencing some funny/good/insightful moments with my lady...its why I think its a damn shame her children arent here to experience these moments.

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
For what it's worth I liken Alzheimer's to a box of tissues, first in last out. You notice when you take one out, the next one is neither in or out. Just like the patient's memory, once it's out it's gone for good, the next tissue, part way out is like the time my wife couldn't make her way down stairs. I'd told her to stay and would be up later to help her down, five minuets later she was stood beside me in the kitchen, she'd walked down on her own!
We've now reached the final 'tissues', the baby memories where today she opened her mouth to be fed when I went to kiss her! Must start kissing after meals.
But then I'm lucky to be able to care for her. Take note of each 'tissue' it will be painful but in time you'll remember the full box and smile. Be kind to yourself.
Padraig

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What a good analogy, Padraig.

Unfortunately, like the box of tissues, you don't know ho far down you are until it suddenly runs out.

Love,

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Helena said:
Sooty

but just as quickly there will be more days when she has no clue and may even claim she does not know who you are
Yes that is what is suspected vasculiar dementia due to heart problems and hardening artieries too in her neck.
Can you explain to me why she will get more days like this with the vasculiar type rather that other dementias. She is up for a CAT scan May 1 when I will be with her in the UK and another ECG. Sooty

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Helena said:
Sooty

Couldn't agree more...my Dad has had Vascular Dementia for two years and has more bad days than good ones right now...he is adamant that he has two houses and two wives and he wants them to meet and talk things through:eek: go figure...if I could, I would believe me lol:)

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
After my husbands seizure on Saturday he took all day to recover but was good on Sunday but since he has come home last night he is very sleepy struggles to get up of a seat if he falls he doesnt no how to get up he also isnt eating a lot but will try and eat himself all this since the seizure. Last week he would eat every last bit and a pudding, sit, stand, walk, stairs, try to help as well. This has all happened in days. CT scan only showed a deterioration. We dont no if any drugs the hospital have given him are still in his system, or if he is still recovering from the seizure, or if its because of the drug for the seizure as this has a sleepy side effect. I have had to get a agency carer in to help me. They are checking this out next week when he goes to the Day hospital. He was also incontinant in hospital but isn't at home but at times it is a struggle getting him up the stairs.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Chip

Glad to hear you've got your husband home. Let's hope he picks upa bit now. Let us know how you get on.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi chip, It sounds as if the seizure has had quite an effect, unless, as you suspect he might still have the drugs in his system from the hospital. I hope he picks up soon.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I remember those days when my mother was like that and I also thought that she was going to get better or getting better that she never really had AZ the doctor must of got it wrong , gosh those moments gave me so much happiness , then sadness when I realize slowly it would all disappear , it was really mind blowing for me , now 5 years on I am so use to them that I just enjoy the moments I have with her when it happen as they are geting Shorter , my son the only one that does not believe it , and says see Nanny ok , but then he does not live with us. he also says that Nanny dose not look so happy any more , when he gives her something . Even thought she does seem to come alive when his around and when he go my mother says why does he worry about me .

Last edited:

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Up and Down

Sooty, yes this is dementia. Sometimes really good other times, well awful no sense at all. No two days are the same, in fact in a matter of minutes somebody can change. We just have to appreciate the good moments when they occur.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Sooty,

We have had a couple of good weeks with my dad and call me a pessimist but I am just waiting for the bubble to burst (the very act of posting feels like I am tempting fate!)

Yesterday I took my Dad to the rugby and was so proud of him that he never once confused his words whilst shouting abuse at the referee:D

The bad times just make you appreciate the good times so much more.

In some ways I feel lucky in comparison to some of my friends who take their parents and their health for granted. They don't treasure the good times because they assume those good times will never end.

Sue

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
sue38 said:
Yesterday I took my Dad to the rugby and was so proud of him that he never once confused his words whilst shouting abuse at the referee:D

Sue: thanks for the smile.

Jennifer

Per

Apr 16, 2006
St Helens, Merseyside
Your dear Dad

Great news about your Dad and the referee! Was it Mr Ganson of St Helens? Come to that if you really want to see some rugby you should come to Knowsley Road!!
Best Wishes, you are excellent.
Per