1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Can BT block calls to 118 118?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by janey106, Dec 13, 2015.

1. janey106

janey106 Registered User

Dec 10, 2013
    Mum is racking up increasing calls to 118 118 - think she is trying to get her parents phone number (passed away 30 years ago) but not 100% sure as she does it in secret. We have made sure there are large type sheets of all family and essential numbers visible in the house. Can't find clear info on Internet so wondered if others on TP know if these can be blocked ? It is a BT landline. Dad worried it is increasing month on month ( about £50 on 118 calls last month alone)

Any info appreciated.

2. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
  3. Anongirl

Anongirl Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi, my mum did exactly the same with the talking clock. BT even wrote to her about how much she was ringing it. I spoke to them and it seems to be a common problem. There are lots of posts on here about it.

It's tricky because they couldn't block the number. We even tried covering the numbers (it was the only number she rang). Eventually she just stopped using the phone altogether.

Hope you can find a solution X

4. janey106

janey106 Registered User

Dec 10, 2013