Can aricept speed the progression of the illness?

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by davidw, Dec 17, 2006.

1. davidw

davidw Registered User

Dec 28, 2005
    swansea,uk
    My 58 yo wife has been diagnosed with A D for the last 2 years. She started taking Aricept about 3 months ago. I feel that her rate of decline has increased since she started taking it. Is there any advice you can give me?

2. kay_valentine

kay_valentine Registered User

Nov 27, 2006
    Gateshead, Newcastle
  3. sek.kong

sek.kong Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    east anglia -ish
    My mum was put on Aricept a while back and I seemed to be constantly looking for improvement - even though I knew inside that a) she was only on a low dose and b) it was only a short time since she started on it. There were a certain amount of doom feelings whenever she then had a bad day. We all hope for an amazing change.......
    In answer to your question though! Haven't heard that Aricept does this but it doesn't help everyone. Could the changes actually be a side effect? Mum's dose was reduced because she had an increase in falls.