Can anyone help?

jackie711

Apr 12, 2007
north east uk
This is my first visit to this site and have found much comfort and encouragement after reading so many of the messages. My Mum was diagnosed in November last year at the age of 59. Although this wasn't a complete surprise to us, it is still difficult to accept. Mam is a carer to my 28yr old down syndrome sister and this is where a lot of her worries lie. I have tried reassuring her i will always be there for both her and my sister but Mam feels ( unnecessarily ) guilty. My main concern at this time is, over the last 2 weeks mam has fallen a few times, could this be a sympton of her condition?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Jackie711,
welcome to TP.

Was her diagnosis Alzheimer's - or vascular dementia?

You say your mum has fallen a couple of times recently. Was anyone there at the time, to see the circumstances?

I'm wondering if your Mum might have fallen as a result of a TIA [Transient Aeschemic Attack] . My wife's dementia started with her falling as a result of what she called faints.

jackie711

Apr 12, 2007
north east uk
Mum was diagnosed with alzheimers. She had complained to me very recently about aching legs.I was with her when her leg buckled and she stumbled, she fell down the stairs at the weekend and yesterday fell in the street, a paperboy helped her up.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Well, one possibility is the start of losing spatial awareness.

Or it could just be coincidence.

No knowing I suspect, at this stage. Worth starting to keep a form of diary of events that cause you concern, when and where, circumstance, etc. Then things may - or may not - tie in together.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I remember my mother pre AZ when she use to have lots of falls , she once fall onto a person garden fence that was made of metal and the spike went right in to her wrist , thinking back now I would of said it was her spatial awareness.

As a few years later she was told she had AZ, yes make note's if it carry on take her to the doctor . Is she on any medication for AZ?

Has she got any other medical condition beside AZ , that she take medication for ?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jackie,

Can I welcome you to TP and just say how much I admire your strength in intending to support your mum with Alzheimers and your sister with Downs Syndrome.

Has your mother seen her doctor about her falls. My husband fell a couple of years ago, and he was found to have a Urinary Tract Infection, which was a complete surprise to both of us, as he`d had no symptoms.

jackie711

Apr 12, 2007
north east uk
thank you

Thankyou all for your help and suggestions. I shall certainly start keeping a diary. Mums nurse is coming on Thursday this week and I shall mention the falls to her. We have also made an appointment to see her GP.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That`s good Jackie, Let us know how you get on.

One tip, write down what you want to ask before the nurse comes, and before you see the doctor, then you will be less likely to forget anything important.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77