can anyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
HI

just wanting some information when my mum was diagonosed with alzhimers my dad was just told she has 18 months to live. How wrong she went another 6 and a half years. I just wanted to know after reading profiles on here everyone seams to have a name for this illnes ie. frontal lobal, vascular,picks so on. The doctor at the hsopital even said to my dad what was the actual diagonosis to this day we dont know. Would we as a family have the right even though she passed away 8 moths ago to ask our doctor to pull out medical records so we know just what her brain scan revealed. As a family it woud put our minds at rest just if we were given a name rather than just alzheimers as like i have said most people seam to have a name for it.

Thanx kathy x

Helena

May 24, 2006
Alzheimers normally comes on slowly

Vascular Dementia is the result of mini strokes and after a few warning ones which may be ignored can suddenly escalate as it has in my Mother

Picks Disease, Binswangers , Lewy Body are all variations and without a post mortem no one has any real way of telling exactly which

If they did a brain scan then they should have a pretty good idea of what disease she had

If it took 6 years i would suspect it was Alzheimers but the doctors should provide answers

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My mother was in the NH 6 years before she died, but she was having serios problems for at least 3 years before that.

Alzheimers wasn`t on her death certificate, it was Global Dementia. What was on your mothers`death certificate, Kathy.

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
When my Dad passed away his Death Certificate read: Alzheimers and pneumonia...no mention of the MRSA.
We requested his records and got them...you have to pay for them...and no mention of the MRSA anywhere!!!!...even though we mentioned his sticky eye etc many times. MRSA wasnt picked up until he went to the NH.
We considered a post mortem but couldnt/wouldnt go ahead with it for various reasons.
It does all seem a bit vague.

But you should be able to get copies of medical records.
M
x

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Hi Grannie G

Thanx for your reply on my mums death certificate it just said end stage dementia,when we went to register her death the woman dealing with registering said she carnt except that. We had to come back in a few days until the main coroner for the ftown hall had spoken to the doctor or whoever at the hospital where she died. When we went back they said he had spoken to the doctor and excepted it. Still end stage dementia on her death certificate.

kathy

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
hi nada

Ive not phoned the alzheimers helpline yet i was just wanting information. Ive not mentioned it to my day,all still a bit raw but for futcher reference that is a help

kathy

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi nicetotalk,

my mum was diagnosed in february this year, the consultant said that she would live 12/18 months at the most, he also didnt have a name for her "condition" only that it was very similar to CJD in its progression, however in a meeting with the consultant two weeks ago he stated that he thought she would be dead by now! but that she seems to have stablised:confused:
we still dont know what type of dementia she's suffering from, to me it seems very similar to vascular and i dont think the consultant knows, even now what it is she has.
but it seems like she has longer than we were told,
I to like you would like to put a name to mums condition, but for now its still "dementia"
good luck, take care x

Status
Not open for further replies.