Can anyone help

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
Today, when I went to visit Rupert in hospital where he has been since his fall 4 weeks ago, I was asked by one of the nurses whether he ever had an episode where he'd gone completely blank not seeming to notice what was going on round him, and almost seeming to hold his breath. I said that he'd never done anything like that at home, but that recently I had noticed that he did seem to blank out every so often, but today he did exactly as the nurse described when I was with him, it didn't last very long, but was quite scary, I gave him a little shake and he seemed to come out of it. I am wondering if any of you have ever come across this happening to one of your loved ones. He has also taken to quite often streatching out his arms as if trying to touch something that is not there. sometimes his eyes are open but another time his eyes are closed.
Yesterday when I visited, he was sitting in his chair and seemd pleased to see me, he doesn't really talk much any more, but today he was back in bed and sleeping mostly, and didn't know I was there at all, even when he was awake.
He can't be allowed to stay in his chair unless there is someone with him all the time, because he keeps trying to get up, and they are afraid that he will fall again as he is basically very weak.
I hope this ramble makes sense.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Jane,
I am so sorry to read you post. Peter has done exactly the same thing.
Apart from asking the Doctor to check him over which I did and I was told it was part some show during the illness.

Do hope someone can come on line and help more.

Best wishes
Christine

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Jane, sorry that things are not going as well as you would like.

He has also taken to quite often streatching out his arms as if trying to touch something that is not there. sometimes his eyes are open but another time his eyes are closed.

Can quite understand where you are coming from there. Lionel would often do that, especially when he was first in the care home. He would push away with his hands, as if trying to shut something/someone out of his head. It is all conjecture on my part. I will never truly know.

Take care now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jane

This is something Dhiren sometimes does and it was suggested to me yesterday it might be a very mild seizure.
I also witnessed this with epileptic children and they were called absences.
But I have no wish to alarm you and know it is only Rupert`s doctor who can make a firm diagnosis.
This could have been responsible for Rupert`s fall.
Perhaps the nurse was asking you to find out if it is a new symptom or has happened before , at home.
Love xx

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hello Jane

Another candidate for the blank stare & outstretched arms. Mum has been doing this lately, sometimes appearing to be almost - but not quite - unconscious. No explanation. Very upsetting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa