Can anyone help?

Novice

May 8, 2017
Wonder if anyone knows if there is any connection between Alzheimer's and autism? Mum has started a lot of hand flapping lately, similar to an autistic child I once taught.
Also, Mum seems to be two people - generally happy and bidable, but when she enters the toilet she becomes someone else!! Unco-operative, nasty, sometimes violent and then suddenly everything is sweetness and light again. Seems unconnected to the need for the toilet. Once she has relieved herself she just sits tearing paper, or her clothes! and woe betide anyone who tries to stop her!Any advice please? I dread taking her to the loo, especially in the night as trying to get her out and back to bed can take an hour or more. Can not leave her as she would probably stay there all night!
Thanks.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
It is probably just the Alzheimers. It would be interesting should there be a link with Autism - but unlikely. It is just an expression of the brain damage inherent in Alzheimers. If she is happy sitting on the toilet - leave her. As long as she is warm and happy.

You could contact Admiral Nurses for any hints or suggestions. They are very practical.

Admiral Nurses
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Really interesting that you should mention this. My Sister deals with children with autism and she always said that my Mum reminded her of these children and she also found in the early days that speaking to Mum in the same way she did to the children in her Care worked better than anything else she tried. She also said that some of the medications they use for autism are the same as for dementia. Xx

Ange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife