Can anyone help with a problem between UK/ Australia ?

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hi all,

Just when we thought dementia was leaving our lives for ever !
(Mum passed away 6 weeks ago)

Sorry can't give too many details as the main person concerned hasn't given permission for release yet.

BUT

our cousin who has been in Oz for around 40 yrs and is being treated for early onset AZ now wants to "come home" - he will be destitute, homeless etc and SS have already advised NIL help in the UK. Because of particular family circs. wife and all have washed their hands.

Hope that the "coming home" is sundowning but if not and he manages to get the fare together is there any way we can get him sectioned from here , or stop him getting on the plane ?

Appreciate very difficult because of lack of detail but I have absolutely no knowledge of Aus systems re dementia and care etc.

Appreciate any down under pals giving their thoughts.

regards
germain

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I don't know the Australian system either but - your best recourse in that situation might be to approach the airline in question. When companies will stop people flying for trivial reasons, I'm thinking that they might be very unwilling to let an unaccompanied dementia sufferer on the plane. However, if he could actually manage to arrange it (and get to the airport on the correct day etc) then I think that would mean that this was a lucid decision on his part and not due to sundowning or anything like that.

P.S. I'm not sure that the info you have received vis a vis support is correct. Definitely health care would be forthcoming as there is a reciprocal agreement with Australia. Does he still have right of abode in the UK? Because if that's the case, I don't think social services can wash their hands of him if he did manage to get to the UK.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Germain.

If your cousin is on his own, I would be very surprised if he will have the organizational skills to get himself and all his possessions back to the UK after 40 years.

Poor man. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celiagibson