Can anyone give me some advice?

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
Can anyone give me some advice I have got someone coming round to do a care plan for my nan can anyone tall me what they take into account Such as her house it is willed to me I have liver with her since I was 4 now 37.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
If its just a care plan to arrange for carers to assist with day to day chores such as a shower hair wash etc., they may want to know if she is self funding or not. Savings over a certain amount. The contents of the will at this stage would not be their concern.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/help-at-home/paying-for-care-and-support-at-home/

Does your nan receive attendance allowance as this is to help towards daily carers whilst at home and even if she was to go in to a home if self funding.

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England

Does your nan receive attendance allowance as this is to help towards daily carers whilst at home and even if she was to go in to a home if self funding.

Attendance allowance isn't means tested and it's tax-free. You sometimes have to go to appeal to get it, though.

Where care is needed at night also, it's payable at the higher rate, £70+ per week.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you are talking about non residential care and services the is no national framework but all LAs must conform to >>>THIS<<<
Your LA website might have details of their policy.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
They will simply come and have a chat with Nan ( and possibly you too) to try and decide what Nan needs and what they can provide.

Depending on Nans finances they will assess how much she would need to pay towards these services.

At the moment, the house belongs to Nan, and will be included in her assets- it wont become yours until she passes away. What she needs now will have to come first.

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
Yes she will get what ever she needs when she needs it it's all just a bit difficult I want her to stay in her own home for as long as if possible I know I have to think about the future.

Stuart

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the person doing the assessment does not offer to do a full benefits check for your nan and yourself, and maybe even if they do, go to either CAB or AgeUK and ask them to do one.

Keep posting and take things slowly, there are many things to be thought about but these are probably best left until the care plan is decided.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Once you have sorted out immediate things like care package and benefits you should take steps to enable you to manage your nan's finances if she becomes incapable of doing this herself.
It's seems complicated at first but as I said take things slowly, no hurry now but arrangements have to be made whilst your nan is still capable of understanding what she is doing in giving you the power to act on her behalf.

stu100

Feb 4, 2015
Birmingham
I didn't know till last week my uncle has that power I think he needs to her docs signature to restore it not sure how it works

Stuart

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Sounds as if your uncle is in the process of obtaining the power and the doctor is signing to confirm that she has capacity, the document is then sent to the OPG (Office of the Public Guardian) for registration. The registered document is then returned and can be used if your nan looses capacity to make her own decisions.
That's one thing you don't have to worry about.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
Dad received attendance allowance, it was very easy to apply for unlike some of the more difficult benefits to claim such as chc funding. If your nan has a confirmed diagnosis make enquiries regarding the council tax exemption and if you are the main carer can include you too.

My dad was exempt because of dementia, my son and his girlfriend were his main carers and they paid zero council tax and had a rebate for the previous years when they had taken over his care. Spouses will receive a 25% reduction. Worth making enquiries not all councils acknowledge this benefit but it is there.

But as others have said one step at a time. Your doing an amazing job caring for your nan, it isn't always easy.