Can anybody help me to identify what is wrong?

Laura31894

Jun 26, 2022
Firstly, I apologize if I'm completely on the wrong type of thread for what I'm about to write. Dementia is the only real thing that has come to mind when trying to get to the bottom of what's going on.
Basically I'm 27 and for the last couple of months I've been noticing some strange things about myself and my behavior. Maybe these things were happening before but they couldn't of been frequent enough for me to see an issue.
I have tried to make some notes as to what's going on and although it's really hard to explain properly, I wondered if anyone could help me to identify what is wrong? (If anything)

So here goes...

- forgetting big things (i.e if someone has passed away) - someone can tell me that they lost there dad last year and we could have a conversation about it, then the day after I will say something like 'how often do you see your dad then" but when they say I've told you already about my dad it's like I remember instantly that I already know this information. This happens frequently with numerous things.

- not taking interest when people are talking - this one is hard to explain but it's like I'm listening but not engaged in the conversation at all - and I've taken no information in.

- interrupting people when talking - this one happens all the time and it's so frustrating for me but someone will be talking to me and I'll just jump in with something totally unrelated to the conversation - almost as if there has been no previous conversation and I'm just about to start one myself.

- staring into nothingness for a period of time - again this is happening everyday, it almost feels like I'm not really there in the room/situation but I can hear everything that's going on.

- saying words in sentences that shouldn't go there - this is also happening everyday. I am saying sentences but I seem to stumble on my last word and can't for the life of me get it out my mouth, or in other situations I have the word in my mind what I want to say but something random comes out instead.
For example tonight - my partner turned the light off and i said "don't do that im tired" but what i meant to say is "don't do that I'm scared of the dark".

- really having to think to get full sentences out and mouth the words properly - another one that's hard to explain but another example is being on the phone to my dad today and having to really push the sentences out, as if I can't just free flow a conversation like I have to think about what I want to say.
- sometimes feeling like it's too much effort to answer a question or to make conversation so I say nothing instead
- I've been quieter than usual - not engaging in much conversation
- being more distant - my partner asking for a cuddle etc and just ignoring the request but then knowing I'm not reacting to what they've said but still doing nothing about it.

Sorry if much of the above makes no sense, it is very hard to write about things I don't really understand myself.

Has anyone experienced any of this? Or has any idea what's going on?
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!!

Tonyjoe

May 31, 2022
There's a lot going on Laura, have you talked to your GP, or called someone at MIND. Both would talk with you, and see if there are any factors in your work or home or social life that could be affecting you. They would also look into you and your families medical histories.
Have any friends of family noticed behaviour changes.
I had similar behaviour and mood changes, and it was my friends and my wife who told of the changes. I went and saw my GP and from him contacted MIND and started treatment for depression caused by changes to my work patterns and work load. I thought I was coping OK with the changes when I wasn't.
Its a big jump to think you have dementia, but talking with your GP, its a good starting point.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@Laura31894 Welcome to talking point. First of all due to your age, it is extremely unlikely that you have any form of dementia. I would suggest that you make an appointment to see your doctor as some physical conditions can result in the symptoms you describe, for example thyroid problems.
Have you been under any stress as this can also cause some of these symptoms.
Your doctor really is the best person to help you. Also if you can talk to your partner about how you feel.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Laura31894
These symptoms dont sound typical of dementia - in particular, the memory malfunctions you describe are not like the memory loss in dementia.

There are several things that could cause your problems - vitamin deficiency, stress, depression, thyroid underaction and I personally have had terrible brain fog ever since Ive had covid, with memory lapses and difficulty with word finding.

We cant make a diagnosis here - please go and speak to your GP about this. A simple blood test may solve the question.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Doesn't sound like Dementia to me, either. I agree with previous comments, it could be any number of things and you need to start the ball rolling with a GP visit.