Can anti-psychotics be given to my mum in psych ward without any prior consultation?

Noaksie1

Nov 2, 2010
Sussex UK
Hello lovely people

My mum who is in psych ward (was sectioned, now DoLS) has been given Risperidone (for talking to herself) as well as Memantine, she was on Donepezil. I wasn't consulted beforehand and told of benefits, risks, etc. She also has a subdural haematoma. If I ask on the ward, they will probably tell me that she can be given any meds without any comms so I thought i would check to see if anyone on here knows. I would be grateful for any comments, thank you.

Best wishes
N

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do you have H&W LPA?
Have you asked to be informed of any changes in treatment?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m not sure but I think you would be within your rights to ask for a meeting with her hospital doctors.

Your mother has been sectioned and is on a psychiatric ward so the doctors probably have the right to act in her best interest. However if you are next of kin I do think you should be kept informed.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Noaksie,
You will see I have moved this Thread to the 'I care for someone with dementia' section.

I agree with Grannie G about seeing the Mental Health doctor who is responsible for your Mother. You may need to ring his secretary to make an appointment and you should get details from the leader of the Unit where your Mother is now.

Let us know how you get along.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I was informed when my husband was given Rispiridone but was powerless to prevent it and he wasn't even on a psych ward, just a cardio-vascular one.
I think they will say it is in your mother's best interests but you should have been informed as NOK. I was and I didn't have LPA nor did anyone even ask if I had at that time.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan