Can a man help?

CoJo

Jan 29, 2008
Oxford
Hi,
Not sure if this is really what this forum is for, but I need some male advice!
My father will soon be going into a permanent Nursing Home and they want me to get him an electric shaver.
I usually wet shave him, but he does go 3 or 4 days refusing to had it done, so at times the growth can be quite long. While he was at the home for respite recently, he wouldn't let them wet shave for him.
I split up with my partner last year, my brother is abroad and I don't have any male friends I could ask about this.
I would like to know if anyone could recommend a good electric shaver as I don't know the first thing about them. Dad does have one already, but it is pretty rubbish, which is why we don't use it!! Sorry if this contravenes any advertising laws, if it does, then maybe someone would just let me know what features I need to look for.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Jo
I was going to ask the very same question. My husband always wet shaves but recently I have been thinking of getting an electric shaver to get him used to one but of course it has to be simple so I too would welcome suggestions.

Linda x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I used an electric shaver on John after I took over the job, because I wasn't confident about usind a wet shaver.

After he'd been in the NH for a while they asked if I'd get him a razor and gel, as he was refusing to accept the electric shaver. They thought it was the noise that was upsetting him. He was grabbing it, and on a couple of occasions hurled it across the room. Not like John at all!

They now use a wet shave, and I have to say he always looks immaculate.

Worth bearing in mind.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
but I need some male advice

So what do you get? Three females!

And, in reality, they are the best to help you.

Any man will tell you his favourite way to shave, and the particular instrument of choice. No problem with that.

However..... when a man has dementia, who tends to look after him? Typically his wife, his daughter, or a carer who will most likely be female.

Those who have been through this caring process will have found solutions, of more or less effectiveness, but for the most part it will not be men who can say what was effective.

As Hazel says, noise might well be offputting, as might the vibration of an electric shaver. There are, of course, quieter ones available, as well as noisier ones.

Sorry not to have a definitive solution - it may just come down to trial and error.....

Good luck!

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

I bought a recharghable wet and dry shaver for Dad. looks just like a normal razor

Maybe that is the best of both worlds, providing the carers remember to plug it in to recharge it again

Love
Alfjess