1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Can a couple (1 with dementia) both move to sheltered housing?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by blackcatz, Jun 20, 2015.

1. blackcatz

blackcatz Registered User

Jun 20, 2015
    My 70yr old sister has dementia. My brother in law is 74 and not in tip top health himself although is mentally strong. He is finding coping with my sisterscondition very taxing, hallucinations - going missing - paranoia about people coming to do them harm....... Although family try to help as much as possible he is the 24/7 carer obviously. They are still renting the family 3 bed semi from the council. Would they be able to 'exchange' this for a place in a sheltered accommodation unit so that they can be together still?

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I don`t know much about sheltered housing but I would hope this is what it`s for. I imagine their best bet would be to contact the council.

Welcome to Talking Point blackcatz. :)

3. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Of course , they don't need to exchange like on an exchange list but can contact their housing officer to explain their circumstances. They should then be put either on the list for sheltered accommodation or if available will be offered a place xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

4. Jinx

Jinx Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Pontypool
    Are social services involved with your sister and BIL? It sounds as though he should have a carers assessment to see how much help he needs in caring for your sister if that hasn't already happened. I'm not sure that just a move to sheltered housing would give him the extra support he needs. In my very limited experience with my aunt, who was mentally fine, it meant there was a warden on site but only for emergencies.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

5. blackcatz

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome and 'putting' me in the correct place!

6. blackcatz

Jun 20, 2015
    Yes they are involved and boxes have been ticked and I's dotted so now it's just a waiting game to see what they come up with. With my sister's behaviour changing from week to week it'll be a constant round of assessing and form filling I think! Thanks for your support Jinxx

7. blackcatz

Jun 20, 2015
    Hi Chick, thanks. I think yet another conversation needs to be had with someone in the right place then. My poor niece seems to spend half her life talking to this or that person.....but then she's not alone is she!!!

8. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    It does take some time to sort things out but eventually it will come all together x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

9. Leswi

Leswi Registered User

Jul 13, 2014
    Bedfordshire
    Sheltered living with 'extra care' units are being built in some places now. They have carers on site if needed rather than just a warden. We are just applying for mum and dad, mum 88 with advanced dementia and dad fairly fit for his age but struggling with mum. This option gives dad some extra company and we can hopefully keep them together rather than going down the care home route.

10. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    I must admit my first thought was to go straight for a double Care Home placement, that way they would both get the care required.

Bod

11. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    My mum is in a sheltered 'extra care' flat that was mentioned. It is perfect for her at the stage she is at. She is not with it enough to be in sheltered. She has care visits but with the carers being on site - the manger can add extra visits to check on her when she's needed a bit more support and familiar carers are on the corridors all the time. It does depend on the level the person is at, they made it clear to me that wandering that upsets other (frail) residents isn't tolerated.