camera to ensure safety

Pennine Dave

Apr 28, 2021
My Mum, who is in an apartment in an assisted living home, keeps thinking she has been assaulted. She hasn't been. So I would welcome ideas for a camera system that records, so if mum again says she has been assaulted the relevant footage can be reviewed - we don't need alerts whenever someone goes into her flat. So maybe a system covering both lounge and bedroom (ideally mains powered) that records to the cloud on a rolling basis, retaining a few days worth of images. Does anyone have experience of such systems and can recommend a brand and model? Many thanks.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Pennine Dave and Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.
I had a similar problem in that my mother was convinced the neighbours were coming in and stealing things when they obvious weren't. By then I'd had broadband removed as mum wasn't using her computer anymore, so installing cameras wasn't an option, so I have no hands on experience of using technology. I wonder if this site may be useful to work out what you need. I did the quiz pretending mum was still at home (she's now in a care home) and the suggestions did sound useful. https://meetadam.co.uk/
If your mother is in assisted living have you talked to the warden about her fears and if there is anything that is triggering the idea that she is being assaulted?
I'm sure others that have used technology will be along shortly with their experiences. In the mean time have a look round the site. The search bar at the top is a useful place to start. Some of the threads are very old, so the posters may not be around anymore, but the information may still be of value.

Pennine Dave

Apr 28, 2021
Thanks, Sarasa. Yes, the manager of the home is well aware of Mum's nightmares but none of us, including the dementia nurse, know whats triggering this.
I've looked at Meetadam; it is interesting but doesn't go into the detail of what I'm after. One of the issues with camera systems is that the technology changes/advances very quickly, so old posts are of limited use. I've just checked out 'Which' Best Buys but would still value thoughts from people who have / used such systems.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We used Ring cameras both inside and outside to keep an eye on mum, they can be battery or mains powered and you can watch live or go back in time via a phone or computer. I was able to save a video clip of a man scamming mum for money at her front door and pass it on to the police. I also looked at recordings of her bedroom one to identify exactly when she’d fallen and how she cut her head.

My sister set up the system and I’m not sure of the details but I think we paid a small monthly fee to be able to keep recordings - I guess some research online will give the different options.

Pennine Dave

Apr 28, 2021
Thanks, Lynmax. It shows the value of such a system. Did your sister source the system; do you know how she chose it and from where she got it?

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My sister did some research from Google then struck a deal with the guy who had fitted their camera doorbell ( not Ring and not as good) so for a fixed fee he fitted the outside cameras and hard wired them. My sister and her hubby installed the interior ones as we decided to get battery operated ones as where we wanted them were not near sockets. I think they were all bought online, probably from Amazon..

heatherj

May 26, 2021
I am actually in the process of trying to sort this for my mum for the same reason. She is convinced the neighbours are in her house every time she goes out, and even when she's in bed. She also refuses to wear her body worn alarm so cameras will enable me to see if she is in any difficulty.

I haven't purchased yet, but have been looking. Power is an issue for me as mum tends to unplug everything. Reolink do one that is solar powered (comes with a solar panel) which will work in one of the two locations I have in mind (by a massive patio door) but I'm still looking at options for one in the kitchen. Rechargeable may work but it really depends how often they need to be recharged as I live 250 miles away.

Mum had a review of her needs assessment with her social worker last week and afterwards I spoke to the social worker about cameras. She said that mum needs to consent to having them there, and that we need to inform social services.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan