Camera System

DeFiCiEnTdAuGhTeR

Jul 4, 2022
Hi everyone, my mum has Alzheimer's. Sleeps in her own room with my dad in room nearby. She has been getting up during the night and urinating on the floor. Must be taking her clothing down as they are not wet in the morning. We have been thinking about some way to alert my dad when she gets out of bed so he can direct her to the toilet. We have contacted the OT about an alarm mat. We are also wondering if a camera system would be of any help to keep an eye on what she is doing. Would definitely need to have ability to see live and cover a fair amount of the room. Possibly ability to record and also watch back would be useful. Not sure whether a baby monitor would do our job or whether we would need to look at something a bit more sophisticated like a security camera with motion sensor and ability to follow her. Does anyone have any experience, advice or recommendations on camera systems they have used before? Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @DeFiCiEnTdAuGhTeR Welcome.

A camera might help you see what is happening but alerting your dad at the time might be disturbing to him and your mum.

I would try a pressure mat first.

Missuss73

Feb 14, 2022
Good idea about the camera. My Mum also has dementia and she has wet herself when she goes to the toilet over night. So what my family do is try to get Mum to go to the toilet before we get her ready for bed. I do hope everything turns out good for yourself and particularly for your Mum.

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
Sadly going for a wee before bed doesn't always do the trick my husband could produce gallons of wee during the night. Avoid anything that stops your Dad getting a good night's sleep for as long as you can.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @DeFiCiEnTdAuGhTeR
(I'm sure you are NOT)

The pressure mat may help alert your dad, though I doubt he'll get to your mum in time to make any difference, and having his sleep disturbed every night is going to exhaust him

maybe a night light, leaving all doors open and the bathroom light on would help your mum see where she needs to be, though there's still the question of whether she will have time to get there or be awake enough

sadly, it may be time to consider a move to residential care for both their sakes

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Surely with a security camera system of some sort, it would only be effective if someone was watching it in real time? Who is going to do that? An alert mat might be better, if that would wake your dad in time to get to her and take her to the toilet. But I think even that will be hit and miss.

Incontinence problems are rarely solved by technology.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Surely with a security camera system of some sort, it would only be effective if someone was watching it in real time? Who is going to do that? An alert mat might be better, if that would wake your dad in time to get to her and take her to the toilet
Motion sensor plus audible alert, straight forward PIR would be much cheaper.
Dad would still have to act fast.

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Hi everyone, my mum has Alzheimer's. Sleeps in her own room with my dad in room nearby. She has been getting up during the night and urinating on the floor. Must be taking her clothing down as they are not wet in the morning. We have been thinking about some way to alert my dad when she gets out of bed so he can direct her to the toilet. We have contacted the OT about an alarm mat. We are also wondering if a camera system would be of any help to keep an eye on what she is doing. Would definitely need to have ability to see live and cover a fair amount of the room. Possibly ability to record and also watch back would be useful. Not sure whether a baby monitor would do our job or whether we would need to look at something a bit more sophisticated like a security camera with motion sensor and ability to follow her. Does anyone have any experience, advice or recommendations on camera systems they have used before? Thank you

I use blink camera - it alerts me when Ma gets up in the middle of the night BUT I'm halfway across the world and it's more for IF she falls or doesn't make it back from the bathroom. I would then call care-giver who lives up the road if needed (thankfully not so far).

You can try it. It does record. Ma hides stuff so I need to record to see where she puts them. Oh there is also reolink - it tilts and pans - great coverage. (I can send you links)

Just need wifi and an app.

You can try so you can see what she does and figure out what she determines is the toilet then maybe a commode may work?

Hope this helps.