calming agitation

Camella

Jun 1, 2015
La Paz, Bolivia
Does anybody know of a therapy for calming agitation or boredom that can be used at home without a therapist

well that would depend on the state the person is in. I care for my mom
She has FTD and is very active and gets anxious and agitated. She takes meds for
This issue because it could go to extremes where she is screaming and pacing, but asides from meds i try to keep her busy, for example
I put things in her purse she likes to cary around with her so she will
Fiddle inside it and organize it. She used to do coloring books
But hasnt in a while.
Soothing background music can also help a lot, a familiar video to watch or a cartoon, etc.
Hope i could help

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Does anybody know of a therapy for calming agitation or boredom that can be used at home without a therapist

Music, any she likes.......with a beat without a beat
Hand drumming together, make up a rhythm copy each others rhythm
Massage hands and arms with an almond massage oil whilst listening to quiet music
Blow bubbles and try and catch them
Rock in a rocking chair
Walk......around the garden, down the road, in a park or where ever is appropriate
Sing together....old songs favourite songs, well known songs,
Do some baking....mix, rub in, make dough, squeeze dough etc
Use a foot spa, turn down the lights and have glow lights on, quiet music etc even incense burning!
It depends on what is causing the agitation---check if she is in pain anywhere?
And when she is 'bored'.......day? evening? night?
Would having company help, if its in the day.....attending groups in your area for instance?

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Music, any she likes.......with a beat without a beat
Hand drumming together, make up a rhythm copy each others rhythm
Massage hands and arms with an almond massage oil whilst listening to quiet music
Blow bubbles and try and catch them
Rock in a rocking chair
Walk......around the garden, down the road, in a park or where ever is appropriate
Sing together....old songs favourite songs, well known songs,
Do some baking....mix, rub in, make dough, squeeze dough etc
Use a foot spa, turn down the lights and have glow lights on, quiet music etc even incense burning!
It depends on what is causing the agitation---check if she is in pain anywhere?
And when she is 'bored'.......day? evening? night?
Would having company help, if its in the day.....attending groups in your area for instance?

Exercise....if you don't have the band width then visit GP and get referral to social services to make a new/updated care plan and discuss with them how to resource it.