Calling a lot for toilet at night, but not in day!

Amber92

Sep 25, 2021
Hi. I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone might be able to give advice, or has been through anything similar. My husband has early stages Lewy Body dementia with Parkinsons. He has recently had 3 weeks in hospital where he was left to toilet in the bed. Now he is home, he is in a hospital bed downstairs and knows when he needs to use the toilet. The problem is, he is wanting to go virtually every hour at night, so he calls for me and I pop down with the urinal bottle. During the day, he will often go up to 5 hrs without needing a wee. Does anyone know why this is? I'd obviously rather not be getting up so often during the night.
Thanks.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Amber92 maybe reduce any drinks in the evening especially if they have caffeine. Also consider talking to your local pharmacist about best times to take any prescribed medication as some this can affect urination.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This sounds like my OH. He will only produce about 500cc of urine during the day, but about 2 litres overnight. He has a condition called nocturnal polyurea. He has it as part of his dysautonomia (autonomic nervous system dysfunction), but apparently its very common with Parkinsons too.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I can't suggest a solution but you really must have one even if it means catheterisation or him going into a care home. Sleep is essential to our health and if you are woken up frequently during the night you won't be much good to your husband, you're going to be ill yourself. My mother could not sleep because of a completely different issue and I am sure that the disturbed sleep over a long period hastened her mental and physical decline. For your own sake and his you must get your sleep.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It would be best to try and find out what is causing the problem. It might be "irritable bladder", prostate problems or something like nocturnal polyurea. What can be done depends on what is causing it.

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
Water tablets from the Doctor might help. I was in the same situation being woken up multiple times a night but water tablets have made a massive difference. I still get woken up with other dementia related issues but usually only once a night which is a vast improvement.

Amber92

Sep 25, 2021
Thank you all so much. That is really helpful. I hadn't heard of nucturnal polyurea but sounds like it could be that. He's not having any drinks after tea time apart from a small glass of red sometimes, and I'm persuading him to have lots of drinks during the day (he doesn't like drinking much really). I'll speak to the doctor about it, to see whether it could be his tablets, or whether water tablets might help. You're right, I really do need to sort it. Do any of you know if condom catheters work?