Call for improved dementia care

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Quote from the BBC report:

The NAO said only a third of people with dementia are ever formally diagnosed, with many GPs failing to recognise the importance of early diagnosis.

The report said the UK was in the bottom third of European countries for giving drugs to dementia patients, while the average time taken to diagnose patients was twice as long as in some other countries.

This is shameful.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
The Alzheimer's Society News page says:

"The National Audit Office have published a significant and hard hitting report today about the state of dementia services. The Society Alzheimer's informed this report and we fully endorse its findings and recommendations." (oops looks like that needs amending)

The actual National Audit Office report page can be found here:

http://www.nao.org.uk/pn/06-07/0607604.htm

Take care,

Sandy

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It likened the situation to cancer in the 1950s when patients were not told about it due to a lack of treatment

Well I have always said that , about time it was highlighted on the news .

Like when you get diagnosed , they could give a hand book with all the symptom of the disease .

with each symptom surport , advice

support that is availably as in technical support , day- center adaption to home, its like they don't want to tell you the truth , just like it was , Just like they say
It likened the situation to cancer in the 1950s when patients were not told about it due to a lack of treatment

So true

For too long dementia has not been treated as a high priority
Sir John Bourn, of the National Audit Office

'We paid for diagnosis'

Thanks Craig for that link

Last edited:

Tash

Jan 8, 2007
London, UK
Sandy said:
"The Society Alzheimer's informed this report and we fully endorse its findings and recommendations." (oops looks like that needs ammending)

Oh dear, it hasn't been one of my better grammar days!! Thanks for picking that up Sandy. Looks like it's already been fixed on the front page of the site.

Tash
New Media Support Officer
Alzheimer's Society (Society Alzheimer's)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
"The Society Alzheimer's informed this report and we fully endorse its findings and recommendations." (oops looks like that needs ammending)

Am :confused: confused now :D why does it need amending ?

Only word I can see that needed amending was the word amending in when Shady said .

the word oops looks like that needs ammending

(as i thought amending only had one M )