Call bell being taken away

coldplayfan

Jan 16, 2015
Hi my grandad is in a care home. We are working with social workers etc to get him moved as it is not meeting his needs. My mum and uncle have lodged a series of complaints. As soon as he's out of there the cqc are going to investigate the place.

Yesterday the staff said they were told by management to take his call bell away as they don't think he needs it. We are going to complain. He has dementia alongside Parkinson's disease. However he still uses his bell and asks where it is if its not there. Sometimes admittedly he presses it and asks for some of his chocolate but that's his right. So basically he has continuing healthcare. He's been accessed as having the capacity to use the bell.

When we complain I was wondering if there's any buzzwords we can throw at them or legislation.
Is this human rights or to do with deprivation of liberty? If anyone knows what legislation is involved I'd appreciate if you could tell me as using this will give us an edge in complaining.

Thankyou

Just an update spoke to advisor on national dementia helpline who gave advice and were very concerned so we've now got what we need to get this sorted.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello. Welcome to TP
I'm sorry I can't help as I don't know the relevant regulations that would help you. We do have some very knowledgeable people on here who I hope will be along soon, so please keep checking back here.

I am wondering If the staff want to remove access to his call bell be because they think he is pressing it too often. If so IMO this is so so wrong

What I do know is. Back in the early 80 my nan was in a Hospice , a woman in another bed kept pressing her call bell every few minutes. It was annoying everyone . Rightly they never took her bell away.

When my mum in the final stages of Dementia , she couldn't do a thing for herself , was bed bound , we started sending her for respite care every 6 weeks to our local Hospice . Though she couldnt use it or understand what it was, they always made sure the call bell was in easy reach.

I suggest you use things like
Vulnerable adult.
You will hold them personally responsible if anything happens .
Insist every meeting / decision written down in his records.
So their is a paper trail.

I would also report it to social services and CQC now rather than wait till later.

I hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction soon.
Do let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Remind them they are at risk of being sued if there is any consequence from withdrawing a potential lifeline in this way, it could be seen as an excuse for neglecting him and ask if they are happy to take the risk? Just generally remind them they possibly personally are liable for anything that occurs as a result of taking a piece of safety equipment away.
K

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Hi,

In every case, regardless of what the issue is, it is absolutely acceptable to meet with the CH lead nurse and tell them that they may not take the call bell away, you want it replaced immediately. It is an issue of safety and compliance for them to ensure he has it and can reach it. Given your father's Parkinson's and dementia, he needs to be able to quickly communicate his needs. It's hard enough to communicate with this double-hitter (our father has the same).

Stating exactly what you expect puts the responsibility back to them to give you a valid reason not to conform to your request (there won't be one!). You are the voice for your loved one's needs.

If you find this has not been followed, you will let them know you will be taking this further.

I am sure others will come along as well with more ideas.

Cheers,

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I am glad you have now got the information you need. Please could you advise the rest of us once you've put it into practice.

My mum was never able to use the bell, the carers knew this, but they still had to ensure it was placed within her reach all the time she was in a care home or a nursing home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R