Calander

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all

A few months ago our Branch Discussion Forum, decided to make a Calander for next year. The idea was also to try to raise awaress among some School children in our local area.
So after a short sketch about the illness, which was done in the classroom, we gave the children a picture of a human head and asked them to draw and write down exactly what they thought was going on in there heads.

The response was absolutely brilliant, and although it was a little surprising to see what these children were actually thinking about at times, I think that we achieved our goal.
We now have our first calander which has become a bit of a hot topic among some people, many of whom seem to have forgotten what it is like to be a child.

Looking back over this project I now realise who complex a childs mind is and how much stress and pain they go through without showing it. But they can actually show it in a drawing.

We had raised a lot of money before we started on this, because we were unsure as to how much it would cost to print, and whether it would in fact sell. But we had decided that even if we did not sell them all, it would be used to raise awareness around this area, while also trying to get rid of the stigma which is still attached to this illness.
Although it has been a lot of hard work, I think we have all enjoyed doing it.
Sadly we lost one of our members who died while we were doing the calander, but we have had her name inscribed on the front, so that she will not be forgotten.
These children were truly amazing and I can not thank them enough for all there hard work.

Best Wishes

Ken

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Ken, that's an absolutely brilliant idea. If we can get children as young as that to understand the complexity of the problem, there's hope for the future.

I'd love to see the calendar -- are you still selling them?

Love,

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Congratulations Ken that is a terrific idea and so please it was a success. It is through education the younger generation, hopefully they will be better prepared in years to come. Do you have any calenders left ?
Christine

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Christine
Yes we still have some left, I think we have sold about 90 in the last two weeks.

Best Wishes

Ken

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Ken has PMed me details, I'll PM them to AlfJess & Sylvia. If anyone else wants one, let me know -- unless you can contact Ken first, of course, not trying to take over!:eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I received my Calendars today. They are superb.

Not only are the thoughts of the children entertaining, enlightening and telling, the quality of the calendars is excellent.

Congratulations to all concerned.