Cake cooking

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Tomorrow is my parent's 52nd Wedding Anniversary - I've been dreading it. What is dad feeling? How can we celebrate with mum so ill? How should I mark the occasion? How can I make it something positive for them? It has been going round and round in my head.
Today I took over 4 bunches of flowers, 2 for the NH, 2 for home - tomorrow they wake to the same sunny flowers. After feeding mum tea, we took her out in the garden; at first she sat in her wheelchair, but then we felt it was right to sit her on the rug between us; and we sat in the evening sun, and dad reminisced. He told me how they had fallen out on their Wedding eve, because 'his' family were working to prepare the village hall for the reception, and they went to mum's house where they were sitting drinking tea!! Tomorrow dad is taking mum home for tea, and I'm going to join them; we planned the meal on the rug together - has to be easy to swallow! And now my celebration cake is cooking, and as I mixed it I raised a glass to my parents and grandparents; those that knew how to work industriously and those that knew the importance of having time for one another.
Tonight I will sleep, because I think that we have found the way to celebrate a love that has lasted. Dementia is a cruel illness - but there are some things that it cannot destroy.
Helen

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I Corinthians 13

"Meanwhile these three remain: faith, hope and love; and the greatest of these is love."

Nuff said.

Happy anniversary to your mum and dad!

Get some sleep!!!!!

Love, Karen, x

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Today I took over 4 bunches of flowers, 2 for the NH, 2 for home - tomorrow they wake to the same sunny flowers.

Helen....that is beautiful
in fact all you said is very moving...
Have a good nights sleep
Love
Wendy
x

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
I hope that your mum and Dad's day went well. 52 years is a long time. They must have gone through so many good times and coped with many not so good times too. It is this staying power that will get you all through the things that life is throwing at you now. Take care , love Zan

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
It went really well. Dad enjoyed it - felt good about the whole thing, which is what I wanted. It could so easily have been sad for him.
Love Helen

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
52 Anniversary

Dear Helen i am so glad it went ok my thoughts after 36 years yes you hurt like mad and dont want to loose the one you love but no one can take dads good memories away
sending love
Bel x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife